7

Naeun's words occupy Jungkook's mind, even now, at the lunch table. He has no clue how to convince Taehyung to go along with her idea. Has Naeun already asked Taehyung out before? He doesn't want to do this. The only reason why he feels obliged to is because his image is on the line. Naeun has a way with words; he doesn't doubt her power when it comes to spreading rumours. What makes it more embarrassing is that the rumour would be true.

Soobin coughs, dragging Jungkook out of his thoughts. It brings his attention to Mina, who arrives with a baby pink lunch-box tied with a pastel yellow ribbon. Cute. Where is Taehyung, though?

"Sitting with us again today?" Jungkook asks to which Mina replies with a nod.

The three sit in silence until Taehyung finally decides to show up.

"Hey, sorry I'm late," Taehyung says. "Mr Choi was lecturing me on class etiquette."

Jungkook snorts.

"What did you do?" Soobin asks, but the question is left unanswered due to Mina sliding her lunch-box in front of Taehyung, somewhat aggressively.

"I made lunch for us to share," she says sweetly, her posture changed now that Taehyung is here.

"Oh... Uh—" Taehyung looks at the lunch-box then to Jungkook.

Jungkook quirks a brow before looking to Soobin, who is looking at the lunch-box. "Well?"

Taehyung pulls on the ribbon and it gracefully unravels before he lifts the lid. A neatly divided lunch containing rice, chicken cutlet, salad, and cherry tomatoes Is revealed. The whole thing has a cutesy touch. It makes Jungkook's lunch look like hospital food despite being able to get the same food here in the cafeteria. She even wrote a cute message in mayonnaise on top—It's upside down so he can't make out what it says.

"Wow. This looks amazing," Taehyung says. "But I don't think I should be taking your food."

Mina shakes her head, a pout forming. "No, I insist."

Taehyung smiles—Jungkook notices hesitancy on his face—picking up the cutlery then he takes a bite.

"Do you like it?" Mina asks, her eyes glazed wet like she's about to burst into tears.

Taehyung nods saying, "It's lovely." With a mouthful of food. He turns to Mina with a thumb up, reassuring. "Really."

Her smile beams as she blushes, but it doesn't last.

Taehyung slides the lunch-box to Soobin. "Try," he says.

Soobin looks at Mina, his face puzzled and unsure; but Taehyung insists.

"This is to share, right?" Taehyung asks.

Mina nods; Jungkook notices her hesitation. It is clear to Jungkook that Mina wants nothing to do with any of them apart from Taehyung. Typical. Oh, how Jungkook wished for Mina to not be like the others. He gives the girl props for making it further than most, which puzzles Jungkook.

Soobin tries some, smiling with his eyes. "This is delicious."

Jungkook, smirking, reaches over to snatch a piece of chicken. "Let me try some." He chews, enjoying how the crumbs complement the juiciness of the meat. Mum would always say the cheaper the crumb, the better it tastes, so he assumes Mina has the same idea. How nostalgic.

Their own food is long forgotten now that all three are ravishing Mina's food. It takes a moment for Mina to join in, reaching out for a cherry tomato.

In the next class, he sits next to Naeun—by chance—thinking about the glare Mina gave him when he ate some of the lunch she had clearly made for Taehyung. She had given them permission though, right? She probably hates his guts now. Great. Another enemy to add to a growing list. He was asking for it, though, or she was.

"So... Did you ask?" Naeun says, nudging Jungkook's side with a pencil.

Jungkook scowls, rubbing his side. "I haven't. I don't think it's a good idea."

Naeun turns to Jungkook, elbow supporting the side of her head as her hair falls onto the desk. "And why is that? Do you have anything you want to confess?"

Jungkook frowns. "What are you insinuating?"

Naeun rolls her eyes. "Why else would you deny my request? Especially with your image on the line."

"Enlighten me."

She straightens her posture, flicking her hair back behind her shoulders. "You like him."

Jungkook snorts. "Well, yeah. He's my friend."

"Don't play dumb. Your reaction confirms my suspicion. You have a little crush."

"You don't know shit, and you certainly don't know anything about me."

It's Naeun's turn to snort. "I know enough that you follow him around like a lost puppy."

Not true. It's more like the other way round. Jungkook never asked for Taehyung's friendship; It was Taehyung who initiated everything, pestering him every day until Jungkook finally caved in. It's not Jungkook's fault that everyone perceives their friendship that way—it was Yoongi who started the rumour, and to this day, it sticks with him. He's learned to not pay it much mind; however, Naeun is reigniting the flame. "I don't know why you're doing this to me."

"I told you. I simply want a date with Taehyung," she says, dully glancing at her nails. "Make it happen."

"Why don't you just ask him yourself?"

Naeun sighs, looking like she already regrets sitting next to Jungkook. "You have a choice. Don't make the wrong one."

💌

Don't make the wrong one...

"Tae," Jungkook mutters, his walk coming to a halt.

Taehyung turns, facing Jungkook. "Yes?"

They are walking back to Jungkook's now that school is over. Tonight will be the last night they have together, with Taehyung's mum returning in the morning. Perhaps the perfect time to ask. "There's this girl—"

"No."

Jungkook's head backs away from being cut off. "You didn't even let me finish!"

"I already know what you're going to say."

Jungkook scoffs, his frown now turning into a smirk. He puts a hand on his hip before saying, "Yeah? Well, what is it then?"

"You're trying to set me up on a date because some girl asked you to do so," Taehyung says, checking his nails.

Oh.

"Am I right?" Taehyung asks, looking back to Jungkook.

Jungkook switches posture, putting a hand on his other hip. "No. Why would I— okay fine, you got me." Jungkook sighs, slouching his shoulders.

This amuses Taehyung, his mocking laugh rings through Jungkook's ears. Little shit. Mr Know-it-all can feel guilty when his best friend's name is dragged all throughout the school and into the dirt. Yeah. Laugh bitch, laugh.

"Aww, Jungkook! Don't be mad!" Taehyung starts to pull on Jungkook's cheeks, only infuriating Jungkook more. "Stop pouting! You're making me want to ki— I mean, wipe that pout off your face." Taehyung's face turns a shade of pink.

Kiss?

Surely he meant another word, right? What other words begin with ki...? Kick? Yes. Taehyung wants to kick Jungkook's pout off his face. It's the only logical reason.

💌

A.N: 

I hope you're all enjoying it so far.