12

Cleaning duty. Lovely. Here Jungkook is—along with Taehyung—roaming the school grounds with those reacher grabber things, picking up rubbish and putting it in their garbage bags while onlookers watch, eating their lunch unbothered.

"You didn't go to the bathroom after Jimin came back," Taehyung says, plopping a banana peel into his garbage bag. "What was that all about?"

Jungkook's lips turn into a thin line. "I was trying to figure out who's writing these notes, and I think Jimin is the one."

"Why?"

"Well, he was writing something on a scrap of paper before asking to go to the bathroom."

"You think he went somewhere to place a note instead of the bathroom?"

Jungkook nods, grabbing an empty juice bottle. "Don't think that I was stalking him or anything. I just happened to have looked in his direction."

Taehyung smiles, stifling a laugh. "Sure. Jimin's not the type of person I would have pictured to send a love note. Disappointed?" Taehyung side-eyes Jungkook. "You're probably wishing it was Eunji."

Jungkook frowns, ignoring Taehyung. He couldn't care less about Eunji. He can probably count all the interactions he's had with her on one hand. The thought of Eunji being the note-writer would truly be a shock—and somewhat disappointing (no offence to her).

Taehyung scratches his forehead with the back of his arm, his shoulders slouching. "How long do we have to do this? I'm hungry."

"How're we going, boys?" The janitor asks, walking up to the two. Filled your bags?"

Taehyung and Jungkook open their bags. The janitor looks into them both before looking at Taehyung. "Taehyung, right?"

Taehyung nods.

"And Jungkook?" He looks to Jungkook.

"Yes."

"Taehyung can go. Jungkook, you need to fill the bag a bit more," the Janitor says.

Taehyung fist pumps to his chest as Jungkook groans.

"Oh, by the way," the janitor starts, taking Taehyung's garbage bag. "Did you end up finding the thing you lost the other day?"

Jungkook's mouth gapes open before he says, "Me?" Pointing to himself.

"Yes, you. Remember? You were looking for something before homeroom started."

Taehyung raises a brow.

"Oh, right. Yes. Uhm— " Jungkook cringes. "I don't even remember what I was looking for."

"Oh? It seemed important." The janitor glances at his watch. "On second thought, you can go to lunch too. I don't want to starve you. Just don't tell your teacher."

"Thank you." Jungkook bows his head, handing over the garbage bag.

They watch the janitor head off with the rubbish before Taehyung turns to Jungkook, hand on hip. "What was that?" He asks.

Jungkook shrugs. "Honestly, I have no idea what he's talking about," he lies.

"You're lying," Taehyung accuses. "Why?"

Jungkook doesn't know what to do. His gut feels like it could implode. "I promise. I— I really don't know."

Taehyung doesn't look convinced, but he lets it slide. Liar is written all over Jungkook's face, although he'd rather be a liar than let Taehyung find out the truth about the notes.

💌

After eating, Jungkook heads to his locker, spotting Jimin along the way. He takes a deep breath before gathering the courage to confront the boy.