39

"What's in the container?" Taehyung asks.

"Fruitcake," Soobin answers.

"Do you want some of mine?" Jungkook offers. Honestly, he can have the entire cake. Jungkook thinks their creation is putrid beyond belief.

"I'll try it." Taehyung opens the container, helping himself.

Everyone on the lunch table curiously watches like it's the first time anyone ever has shown interest in eating fruitcake.

"Don't choke," Jimin says.

"Imagine choking on fruitcake," Yoongi says, scaring the shit out of Jungkook. Why does Yoongi always appear out of nowhere?

"Imagine being allergic to nuts." Taehyung pretends to throw the cake at Yoongi.

"Wait, he'd actually choke," Jimin says.

Jungkook giggles into his hand, remembering the fit of laughter he had when he found out about Yoongi's nut allergy.

"Is that fruitcake?" Naeun asks, sitting next to Jungkook casually.

"Yes," Taehyung says, his mouth full of fruitcake.

"So, you're a regular now?" Jungkook asks, side-eyeing the girl.

"Well, I have nowhere else to sit," Naeun says. "I'm a reject now."

Jungkook rolls his eyes, thinking about how Seokjin called his table a bunch of rejects in cooking class "There are many seats elsewhere you could sit."

Naeun shrugs.

The table goes silent. Jungkook watches everyone eat, his food going relatively untouched—the fruitcake put him off eating altogether. He watches as Jimin and Yoongi share silent glances. Jungkook notices all the subtle gestures they use to communicate with each other and it makes him see the two in a whole different light now that he knows a glimpse of their history.

💌

Jimin shifts in his seat, feeling uncomfortable under Yoongi's stare. Yoongi has made it clear to Jimin that they can't work out, so it's just irritating at this point.

Their situation-ship was awkward as it is, but now that their parents are dating, things have gone south.

Of course, Jimin doesn't want it to be like this, and yes, he's spent many sleepless nights thinking over it, but Jimin doesn't want to straddle the line. It's either you're in it, or out. Who cares if they're soon to be stepbrothers? Jimin would have disowned himself from his family, and they could have run away together after high school.

He romanticises the scenario more often than not. He thinks Yoongi would look sexy waiting for him out the school gates with his dad's rundown car after graduation—his father promised to hand it down to Yoongi after he graduates—if he graduates. They would drive south, as far from the city as possible. Everything else can be tomorrow's problem, because it will be okay as long as they're together... but they're not—far from it. His life ain't no movie.

He notices Jungkook is also staring at him, which is new. Jungkook is one of the few people who knows about Jimin's feelings for Yoongi—and from what he assumes, Soobin as well—but he doesn't know the details of their situation, and he wonders if Jungkook's opinion on him would change if he were to ever find out.

Jimin's eyes linger on Yoongi's lips. He'd do anything to have a taste again. Jimin kicks Yoongi's shin under the table, causing him to grunt in pain. Yoongi gives Jimin a questioning look who mouths, 'stop staring at me.'

Yoongi takes his phone out and angrily starts typing a message.

Yoongi:

Why are you giving me the cold shoulder?

Jimin:

😑

Yoongi:

You can't go from seducing me to trying to make me jealous and then completely ignoring me. Take responsibility.

Jimin:

Okay, bro.

Yoongi scoffs, standing up. He says nothing as he walks off and no one protests. Yes, Jimin is sour that Yoongi has blocked all his advances, so maybe Yoongi should be the one to take responsibility for his hurt feelings and untouched urges. It's going to take more than sitting with him to be forgiven. Besides, like he said before, what's the point if he doesn't want to take things further? Jimin can't be emotionally available for someone who hasn't even figured themself out—he could be waiting forever.

The reactions on the table are a mixture of unbothered or confused, but Jungkook's face bothers Jimin the most. "I did nothing," Jimin says.

Jungkook puts his hands up in front of him, waving. "I said nothing."

"I'm sensing tension among the group," Naeun says, twirling her hair as she does. "Is there some sort of love triangle going on?"

"What?" His eyebrows furrowed, Taehyung finishes the fruitcake. He turns to Jungkook who flinches. Jimin presumes Taehyung grabbed Jungkook's thigh under the table. Jimin wonders how much trouble Jungkook got into after their fake date—Yoongi ignored Jimin for an entire week, which in retrospect pisses Jimin off even more that he's mad at Jimin for ignoring him now.

Taehyung and Jungkook's relationship is going well. It makes Jimin's stomach feel sick with envy. Why can't he and Yoongi be like them?

💌

Now that his failing grades have come to his attention, Jungkook spends more time trying to focus than actually focusing in class, anxious that he needs to soak up as much information as possible, but all of it goes over his head. Instead, he spirals his thoughts over his university applications and whether he'll get into the same uni as Taehyung.

He went through all the courses and majors the other night, but nothing screamed out to him. Perhaps he'll have an idea if he knows what Taehyung has in mind, so he messages him.

He patiently waits for a reply. He knows Taehyung is always on his phone during class. He goes through the majors once again while he waits. Law? No. Medicine? Probably would never get in... Business? He chuckles at the thought of him running a business. How about archeology? He loves dinosaurs and dirt— Oh, nevermind. It's not about that.

Taehyung:

Idk

Jungkook groans.

Taehyung:

Maybe I can study anatomy...

Jungkook doesn't even bother replying, and he thinks Taehyung gets the memo as he continues his lame joke after a minute of no response.

Taehyung:

The anatomy of your body ;)

Jungkook's head makes a thud on the desk, jump-scaring Soobin. He wishes he never asked.

💌

A.N: I know, I know... I'm terribly sorry for disappearing again. But hey, I'm back~ I'm not going to make promises, but I'm planning on sticking to the original updating schedule. I hope you guys stick around and don't hate me!!  🩵🩵🩵