Chapter 61

"You're engaged?" Bianca voice rang out over the phone.

Zali couldn't hold back her smile. "Yeah. She asked me yesterday night."

"Did you do anything fancy!?"

"Well... not fancy. But it was emotional."

"Did you pour your heart out to her and she just asked you to marry her?" Bianca asked as Zali sat down on the couch, watching Isirona go through her paperwork beside her with a soft smile of her own.

"No. We were attacked by some necromancer. The same one that put Isirona in the book in the first place. Isirona beat her, but it was a lot of drama." Zali explained. "When everything was sorted out she asked me to marry her."

"I'm sure there was a bit more than that, but thank you for sparing me the details." Bianca scoffed. "Never thought you'd get married before your brother."

"Speaking of which... did he bring a boy home the other day?"

"He did. Why do you ask?"

"Just curious." Zali chuckled.

"I'm not having any grandkids am I?" Bianca groaned.

"Who knows." Zali shrugged. "I have a long way to go before I'm considering any of that."

"Get married first. Then worry about kids."

"That's the idea. Though you could get some kids from Vanessa."

"I knew I adopted her for a reason."

"Wow. I'll be sure to tell her that's the reason then."

"Be my guest. She knows I'm kidding."

"I doubt Vanessa wants children." Isirona muttered, barely loud enough for Zali to hear which got her to smile.

"Vanessa's lifestyle is too exciting for children." Zali noted. "I doubt its on her priorities."

"Yeah well who knows. She might want some in the future." Bianca answered.

"I doubt it'll be in your future." Zali rolled her eyes.

"That's why you're going to take care of her and make sure she doesn't do anything crazy."

"Does that mean I have to keep an eye on Marcus too?"

"God no. He's the one kid I don't worry about."

"Marcus doesn't have a Ancient succubus for a girlfriend."

"Fiance." Bianca corrected, while Isirona chuckled herself. "That's true. But he's also doesn't have mercury poisoning or a hole in his chest."

"Fair."

"I have to run. I'll see you this weekend alright?"

"Right. Love you mom."

"Love you too. You too Izzy! Welcome to the family!"

"I was always part of the family Bianca. Love you too." Isirona called as Zali moved the phone to her lover's ear before hanging up and leaving the phone on the table.

Zali smiled and leaned back, watching the magic ring on her finger for a few moments of comfortable silence before Isirona spoke up. "You don't want a big wedding right?"

"Of course not." Zali answered with a raised eyebrow, like she was shocked that Isirona didn't know any better.

"Good."

"Do you even want a wedding? I would have figured you'd want to just elope and be done with it."

Isirona chuckled again, still going through some paperwork. "Most demons simply see the ring as a sign of marriage. In Exodious it's usually the case. They only have a wedding for royals and nobles. Most people just get the rings and sign a paper."