Chapter 22

Zali sneezed into a tissue before groaning. This was not how she intended to spend her weekend.

Turns out that the cold she had gotten was relentless, and had no intention of going away anytime soon. And since her succubus refused to use magic she had to suffer through it.

"So why isn't she healing you?" Vanessa asked, sitting backwards on a chair so the backrest was towards the bed, allowing her to rest her arms atop it.

"I think she's still mad at me for being indecisive, but she won't actually say anything to me." Zali answered. Her face was flushed and her nose just as red from all the times she'd been blowing it.

Vanessa grinned. "I think she just likes taking care of you."

"That could be another reason. She never misses a chance to embarrass me." Zali groaned again. "She's such a pain. I could be studying or practicing magic right now. But instead I'm stuck in bed!"

Vanessa laughed leaning back a bit and tilting the chair with her before leaning forward again still giggling. "She likes to torment you. After all, you were basically tormenting her and now she's free."

"How was I tormenting her?" Zali grumbled. "I did everything she wanted."

"Except admit how you really felt."

"That's not a good enough reason to put me through this!"

"Plus, everyone gets sick, and not everyone has a former Sentinel for the Keepers as a teacher-slash-girlfriend. If you want to get better with magic, you're going to have to do it on your own."

"Uhhhgg!" Zali groaned again. "I feel like shit!"

"Why don't you go take a bath then?" Vanessa offered.

"Because Isirona will probably sneak in and find a way to torment me!" Zali whined. "I can't do anything while she's like this!"

Vanessa chuckled some more. "Go take a bath. I'll sit by the tub so she can't bother you, because god knows she'll teleport or something stupid like that."

"I'm not going to make you sit in the bathroom while I bathe..." The young mage frowned, twiddling her thumbs under the blankets.

"I don't know if you've realized this yet, but we're sisters now. So I'm not hitting on you, I'm looking out for you. Plus... would you rather your brother do it?"

Zali sat up. "Fine! Just please don't get my brother involved with Isirona, they team up."

"Well then we'll have to team up against them." Vanessa smiled, offering her fist towards Zali.

Zali smiled softly and touched her knuckles to the vampire's before the two of them got up. Zali grabbed a change of clothes before the two of them headed into the bathroom, with Vanessa grabbing a small handheld game console to entertain herself while she protected her sister from the succubus.

Zali slipped into the hot water letting out a content sigh. She glanced over at Vanessa who sat on a pillow, her back against the counter as she looked down at her game. Her legs were crossed underneath her, like she was trying to stay away from the bath itself.

"Do you have a ring or something to keep you from getting hurt by water?" Zali questioned.

Vanessa looked over at her. "I do. Why?"

"I was just curious. You look like you're trying to stay as far away as you can."

"I don't want my DS getting wet." Vanessa answered.

"Where did you even get that? You didn't have it in Izzy's Pocket."

"I bought it recently." The vampire smiled. "Saved up for it. Something for when I get bored, 'ya know?"