Chapter 40

"Evania wait!" Zali raised her head from her book and looked towards the courtyard. Sylvia was chasing after a young black haired girl Zali didn't recognize, but the girl didn't seem to care.

"Is everything alright with them?" Kai questioned, her ears turning towards the sound of running.

Kai and Zali were seated on a bench by a wall of flowers that was next to one of the buildings. There was a short staircase down into a courtyard that branched off towards other buildings. But there were several trees and many more flowers all over. Some students were laying in the grass, and others were on benches.

"I'm not sure." Zali answered. "Should we get involved?"

"Just in case." Kai agreed, closing her own book. The two of them enjoyed escaping from their significant others to read in peace.

The two stood up and made their way down the steps towards the two. "Hey!" Zali called out. "Sylvia? Is everything okay?"

Sylvia, and who Zali guessed was Evania both stopped to look over at them. Evania's golden eyes quickly gave away that she was a vampire, but Zali couldn't see a moonstone on her, nor did she recognize the girl.

Sylvia looked to Evania who glared back. "No, it's alright. This is my roommate Evania."

"Nice to meet you." Zali smiled nervously, as Evania still held an annoyed expression, even when she acknowledged Zali and Kai.

The vampire quickly moved her hands in front of herself, speaking in Sign Language, before crossing her arms over her chest. However, Zali just smiled nervously. "I'm sorry, I don't-"

"She said 'hello'." Sylvia smiled. "She's not deaf, she just can't talk. Her personality also doesn't mix well with my own, so I annoy her very easily. Once I finish testing her limits I promise not to irritate her anymore."

"You could just ask her what irritates her?" Kai noted.

Evania moved her hands in the one motion that Zali recognized as "Thank you" but in a much more exaggerated  manor before glaring at Sylvia again.

"She agrees with you Kai. I think?" Zali explained, gently taking the fox by the arm.

She never was a clingy person, but her damned succubus girlfriend had clearly began rubbing off on her. Thankfully Kai didn't mind. She was likely used to it since Chysolite was the same. At the same time, Kai's calm personality helped center Zali, allowing her to find her voice to help resolve issues.

Sylvia laughed nervously. "I do ask. You don't answer."

Evania seemed to go off on a rant in sign.

"Hey, hey, whoa! You know I'm trying. I can't help if you don't let me." Sylvia admitted.

"Not all of us want help." Kai butted in. "I'm sorry if I'm reading the situation wrong, I can only hear one side of the conversation. But speaking from personal experience, I don't like it when people pity me for my disability. There's moments when you need help, and others when you don't."

Evania motioned towards Kai as she glared at Sylvia who seemed to catch on.

"Why didn't you just tell me? We're roommates Eva! Hating each other is only going to make the years harder." Sylvia questioned.

Evania waved her off and turned around.

"Evania, I don't know the kinds of trouble that Sylvia has caused with you, but she doesn't seem like a bad person." Zali noted. "From my perspective she's just trying to do her best and help you because it's what she wants to do. But if you don't talk to each other, she won't know when she's crossed a line. Not all of us can read minds." Zali shrugged.