Chapter 65

Zali made her way up onto the stage along with the rest of the council. She took her seat beside her sister who was tapping her foot nervously. She placed a gentle hand on her leg and Vanessa took a deep breath before smiling at her. They both looked back up onto the stage to see Kendra and Desdemona talking with Kai and Chysolite in front of the podium at the center of the stage. Miss Arthur was talking with Isirona and Nyx, as well as a few other teachers a bit off to the side.

The auditorium was packed with all of the students in the school, and everyone was talking over each other. There didn't seem to be a lot of conflict and everyone seemed to be getting along relatively well. There were some demons talking to humans and vice versa.

Octavia moved to the podium with Nyx and Isirona right behind her. Kai, Chysolite, Kendra and Desdemona stepped back a bit to give them space as Miss Arthur cleared her throat.

The talking slowed to a halt and the room filled with silence as everyone waited to hear what she had to say.

"It's come to our attention that there is still some discomfort between the students here at the school. I called this meeting to address these issues. I'm sad to say I found out about these issues through my own daughter and the council, rather than the students who were suffering. I would like to remind you all that I created this school for humans and demons to co-exist. I invited you all here because I thought you had like-minded goals. Because I thought you wanted to move forward and live in a world of peace. Instead, I find out that you're segregating yourselves because you're still afraid."

Octavia sighed deeply. "I created this school because my husband was turned into a monster by Agora Daybreaker, who also turned my daughter Evania. Instead of her becoming a monster, she feared her own power so much she chose not to speak ever again. I created this school so people like me and my daughter could find a sense of normalcy in the world. I asked humans and demons to come here to both learn and teach. I wanted all humans to have access to magic, and all demons to live along side us if they so choose. Instead, I'm finding out that you're bullying each other based on your races!? We are all equal here. I don't care about your skin color, your gender, whether or not you have scales or fangs. It doesn't matter. We're here to teach, to learn, to make friends! I don't understand why some of you feel the need to put others down to make yourself feel better."

Octavia seemed to be having an internal struggle, like there was more she wanted to say but couldn't. She turned away from the microphone as Nyx put a hand on her shoulder, moving her away from the podium. Isirona stepped forward, leaning towards the microphone.

"I know a lot of you may be going through a unique transition. I know many of you are studying hard trying your best to learn everything you can so you can leave this school with well paying jobs. I know most of you are going to do just fine and find your place in the world. But some of you are going to crash and burn. Many of you will think that I hate humans. That I know it's the humans that are the most frightened of us. In all honesty, I don't. I think humans are some of the most beautiful and genuine people in both worlds. But that does not excuse cruelty."

Zali watched Isirona speak, wishing that she could be standing next to her. She turned her head away for a split second before her eyes locked on flowing red hair walking across the stage. Vanessa noticed too, blinking curiously.

"Hey... She looks just like...."

"I've done my best to instruct my students. To make them understand that this is a good thing. The council is doing their very best at trying to make everyone feel at ease. They knock on your doors and ask you what you want to change, but instead of offering help, you bully and pester each other, trying to raise yourselves up on a pedestal that doesn't exist." Isirona continued before turning to face the woman who made her way over to the podium. "I called an old friend from Exodious to speak to you all, as well as deliver an ultimatum to those of you who seek to disrupt this peace we're trying to achieve."