Chapter 57

Zali watched Isirona going through her paperwork. The succubus seemed to remember most of if not everything that she was currently teaching, but the faces and names of the students were hazy at best.

"So you sort of remember teaching classes?" Zali asked, looking over the succubi's shoulder.

Isirona put a hand to her forehead and moved some pages around at her desk. "This all seems very familiar. I think I taught a defense class for a different school at one point..."

"You did. I got hit with a fireball from another student."

"You're just prone to accidents aren't you?" Isirona narrowed her eyes at her.

Zali shrugged. "It really doesn't seem to have effected you very much."

"I thought I would react very differently to everything, but for some reason I'm calm, and don't actually want to torment anyone... or sleep with anyone..." Isirona confessed. "I thought personalities were extentions of a person's experiences, but now I'm not so sure."

"Well you still have all your memories, you just can't always access them. Plus my connection to you has helped you keep enough of your memories to prevent your personality from changing. You don't want to go out and cause trouble in this new world?"

"Not particularly. I'd like to punish that stupid Zealot for acting like a complete idiot, but otherwise." She shrugged.

"I don't think anyone would mind if you pulled a prank on her or something." Zali smiled. "Even Kai torments her when she can for all the crap she puts up with."

"Kai is your best friend right?"

"Yeah. We met at the school, but we hit it off really well since our personalities are so similar. We enjoy reading books together to get some peace and quiet from you and Chysolite. But I can't really say that you're as overwelming as you were. If anything I've been spending more time with you lately than I ever have."

"Why are you not dating Kai instead of me?"

"What?"

"If your personalities connect much better, and you don't fight or argue, what do you see in me that you don't see in her?"

Zali blinked like she was trying to process the question before she sat on the foot of Isirona's bed and watched her succubus companion as she in turn studied Zali's expression.

"You're right. Kai doesn't go out of her way to spoil me, or be obnoxious. And she's a lot easier to hang out with sometimes. But... she's just another me. One that's holding in a lot of anger that sometimes spills out, and honestly it's pretty scary. She literally lights herself on fire and I can get third-degree burns just by being in close proximity." Zali looked down at the floor as her face started to warm up.

"It's true, that sometimes I have trouble talking to you, or explaining to you how I'm feeling. But even then, you never made me feel like I had to. Even when I didn't tell you, and even when our thoughts weren't connected, you always just knew exactly how I was feeling. You never once went out of your way to make me feel like a princess. You always just made me feel like you cared without going too overboard. This relationship was never about me in your eyes, it was always about us. When I pushed you away because I was scared you pulled back and helped me realize that you were never in this just to leave later. You intended to stay forever. When I got hurt you didn't leave my side once. You were so distraught and scared of losing me that you couldn't even hold a human form. How could I ever pick anyone but you?"

"Just because I love you unconditionally doesn't mean you have to."

"But I can't help but love you." Zali answered, looking back up at the succubus with determination in her eyes. "You might not be perfect, and you might go out of your way sometimes to make sure that I feel loved. But you don't expect too much from me. You tell me when I do something stupid, or tell me when I'm not being honest with myself. I didn't want to go to both dances, and you still made me go because you had to and you didn't want to suffer alone. You're with me because you want to be, and you've never once forced yourself on me, or anything like that. When I want to spend time with you, you're always here. Even if you can't be here in person, you're still in my head. You let me sit in your office and read while your doing paperwork just so that I can spend time with you... Sure, Kai might be more like me, but she's not you."