forty-two

The boys were now at home, setting the fishbowl in Jimin's room, as Yoongi tended to sleep there more often than in his own bed.

Jimin was his comfort, and sometimes, when he'd been lying on his bed, awake for hours, Yoongi would sneak out of his house, tiptoe into Jimin's room and crawl into his bed, whispering, "I-I couldn't sleep." Jimin would just smile affectionately and pull the soft covers over the older and, when he was feeling particularly bold, kiss Yoongi's forehead and wish all of his bad dreams and sleepless nights away.

And they did go away, as long as he was in the warmth of Jimin's arms.

Now, with Yoongi's bed almost completely neglected, Jungkook had usually taken to sleeping in it, as he slept over often after playing video games all night with Taehyung. They only stopped playing when one of them fell asleep, which almost always happened to be the younger. Taehyung would always run a hand through Jungkook's hair or gently tap his cheek to wake him up, but on the occasion that Taehyung had fallen asleep first, Jungkook would gently lift him up, bridal style, and tuck him into his bed before crawling into Yoongi's.

Occasionally, Yoongi would walk in, wanting to sleep in his bed for once, and would find a sleeping Jungkook under his covers. Smiling, he would just go back to Jimin and cuddle with him until they both fell asleep.

Jimin's room was basically his own, at this point.

<3

"Yoongs, can you get the scissors?" Jimin asked, pouring something into the water of the fishbowl. "I just conditioned the water, so we can put Romeo in the bowl now."

Romeo was in a small plastic bag filled with oxygen and water from his fish tank back at the pet store. Yoongi was sitting on Jimin's bed, watching the fish quietly swim around as Jimin decorated the tank and filled it with water.

Once Yoongi had gotten the scissors, they cut the bag and Romeo began swimming around in the little bowl, his telescope eyes bumping into the glass.

"He looks so cute!" Yoongi gushed.

Jimin smiled, "Mhm. He's so tiny."

"Chim?" Yoongi suddenly asked. "Do you think Romeo had a Juliet, back at the pet store?"

"In the play, Romeo had a friend," Jimin thought for a moment. "His name was Mercutio. He was jealous because Romeo was paying more attention to this girl, Rosaline, than his own best friend. What if," Jimin said, "What if Romeo had a Mercutio instead?"

"But Mercutio got killed," Yoongi said.

"He died fighting for Romeo."

"Oh," the older mumbled. "That's sad."

Jimin sighed. "The whole play is sad. Everyone dies."

"What if Mercutio was jealous because he liked Romeo?" Yoongi asked.

"Exactly, that's my point. Wouldn't the play be so much better if Romeo and his best friend were gay for each other?"

Yoongi frowned, looking back at the fishbowl. "Are you trying to tell me that my goldfish is gay?"

Jimin paused. "Well, I don't know, Romeo could be gay."

Yoongi pressed his nose to the glass. "Romeo, are you gay?"

The fish just kept swimming in slow circles, its head occasionally running into the glass.

"I think he is," Yoongi giggled. "My fish is gay!"

Jimin grinned. "We should get him a boyfriend."

"We should!" Yoongi gasped. "We'll name him Mercutio!"

And so they made their second trip to the pet store, and once again, Yoongi said hi to Gilbert the snake and decided to name the fluffy-feathered cockatoo they saw earlier that morning Caesar.

Jimin massaged the sides of his head, feeling the beginnings of a headache from the insistent screeching from the bird.

He ended up cursing at the loud cockatoo, muttering a "Fuck you, Caesar" and earning disapproving glares from parents and soft giggles from Yoongi.

They eventually made their way to the fish tanks, where Yoongi— just like earlier that day— pointed to all of the fish in the different tanks and ran around, looking for a fish worthy of the name Mercutio.

"It's this one!" Yoongi said suddenly, pointing to a fish speckled with shimmery orange, black and white scales. It had a short tail, similar to Romeo, but not as slender of a body. It also had telescope eyes but Yoongi could clearly tell that this fish's eyesight was far greater than Romeo's. "He looks like a Mercutio!"

And so they repeated the same steps they went through before— flag down one of the pet store employees, point out the fish they wanted, and wait as the employee put their fish into a plastic bag and filled it with oxygen and tied it closed.

With a skip in his step that Jimin found hard not to gush over because Yoongi was just too fucking cute, Yoongi took the bag in hand and they made their way back to the car— again.

Jimin was craving ice cream, but they couldn't leave Mercutio in the car to visit the parlor as it was just too cold for the fish. With a sad pout, Jimin drove them home.

They went through the same process they'd gone through before—minus setting up the bowl, as it was already set up— and soon enough, Mercutio had adjusted to the water of the fishbowl and was swimming freely, getting used to his new surroundings and —unbeknownst to him — his new potential love interest, Romeo.

Yoongi sprinkled some flakes of fish food into the bowl. "I think Mercutio might be gay, too."

"What makes you think that?"

"It looks like he's humping Romeo!" Yoongi giggled.

Jimin sighed, "If anything, Romeo's probably humping Mercutio because he can't see what's in front of him."

"Or maybe Mercutio is just a very. . . . libidinous fellow."

"Sure," Jimin snorted, "Let's just go with that."

Concluding that Mercutio was just naturally a super horny fish, Yoongi and Jimin left their new fish to hump— or whatever it was they were doing— in privacy and decided to go bother Taehyung and Jungkook out of boredom.

They didn't expect to see the two making out on the couch, Jungkook straddling the older, grinding into his lap, and Taehyung's hands tangled into the Jungkook's hair, controllers abandoned carelessly on the floor and the quiet music of the neglected video game on the tv playing in the background.

<3

hellooo :)) i'm a sleepy fellow but i have to finish annotating 400 pages of a book that's due on wednesday.. no sleep for me tonight :,) today's question: favorite cereal?? if you hadn't already guessed, mine is lucky charms <3

ooh alsooo thanks for 10k and as always, thanks for reading <3