eight

When they told him that his mother was dead and his father was going to prison for murdering her, all he could do was cry, both in misery and relief.

He never saw it coming.

Yoongi felt guilty for feeling relieved that his father was taken away, but at least his father couldn't hurt him anymore.

He was finally safe.

<3

Yoongi doesn't remember much after that. It was all a blur.

They told him they would put him with a nice family, the Kims, with a son around his age, as well as two younger children, thinking it would be nice for Yoongi to make a friend.

He already had a friend. He didn't need another.

Luckily, the family lived in the same area as Yoongi's family, so at least he wouldn't have to leave Daegu.

He wouldn't have to leave Jimin.

<3

"Hey, I'm Taehyung, but you can call me Tae! My mom says we're going to be brothers! I'm really excited! Are you my hyung? You look kinda short. Can I ca—" the boy stopped with a frown, seeing that his new friend had disappeared.

Yoongi had already walked away, not wanting to put up with the annoying boy and his stupid questions. The kid was just too loud.

<3

"What do you want for breakfast, hyung?"

"Aish, quit calling me hyung, I don't even know you."

"But hyunggggg~" Taehyung whined, and Yoongi had to resist the urge to leave again.

"Do you have cereal or something?" Yoongi mumbled.

With a nod, Taehyung quickly grabbed a box from a shelf.

"We have Cheerios!"

Yoongi found himself feeling disappointed at the sight of the Cheerios, secretly craving the marshmallows Jimin had brought him.

Quietly pouring himself some cereal after taking the box, Yoongi said, "They told me I'm older than you."

"I knew it!" Taehyung grinned.

"Whatever."

<3

Weeks passed and Yoongi slowly grew fond of the loud boy and his childish behavior. Taehyung did a very good job of distracting the older from what had happened to his parents.

The Kim family, who decided to take Yoongi in, realized that after a few weeks of getting used to his new surroundings and getting to know Taehyung, he needed to go to school.

Public school.

They thought it would be best to put him with Taehyung so that he would feel more comfortable.

They knew about his struggles in school and him being bullied because of his Kumamon plushie.

The Kumamon plushie was something Yoongi couldn't part with. He couldn't sleep without it. After the death of his mom, the plushie was not only a reminder of what he'd lost, but a reminder of all of the happy memories he had of his mother.

Like the time she sewed the rip in the fabric of Kumamon's hand the day Yoongi stuck the plushie in the washer. Yoongi had dragged his mother out in the rain and they took a walk through the park, finally settling on Yoongi's favorite bench before the boy fell asleep, his head in her lap. On the way home, Yoongi had dropped the plushie, getting Kumamon all muddy. He cried that day, scared that his plushie would be dirty forever after the mud stains wouldn't wash out under the sink. His last resort was to put the Kumamon plushie in the washer, and when the plushie came out with the rest of the laundry, Yoongi was horrified to see the large tear on Kumamon's hand. After much consoling (and a few cookies to calm him down), Yoongi's mother tamed her son's meltdown and managed to fix the plushie.

Granted, it wasn't a very good memory for Yoongi, but he always admired his mom for going to such great lengths to try to keep him happy.

She quit her job to protect her son from the kids that made him cry.

She stayed with the man who abused her to be able to give Yoongi food, clothes, and a house to come home to, albeit not a very happy one.

She tried to give her son the best life he could have.

She tried, and she died doing so.

So yeah, it was a pretty good pillow, but the Kumamon plushie would forever be a part of him, just like his mother.