Running Riot

As you've already heard, you mustn't assume that you outnumber your enemy. If you find one, there are sure to be others unless you're in a solos game. Think about it like this: if you attack one wolf, it will attract its pack. That is why you must play it safe and by the numbers. If you don't, if you become reckless, you could die. Quad fights have rules. You must abide by those rules if you wish to keep your team alive.

Predator, Forager, Sharpshooter: K

We all awaited in the shadows of the building as the enemy quad began to near us. I, with my more attuned hearing, listened closely to the trio walking on the concrete just outside. I looked over to my team on the right as Asuna and Sinon both looked at me. I put a finger over my mouth to tell them to stay quiet and I peeked around the corner slightly to see that our enemies were just outside at the gas pumps. I took a deep breath but froze when Kirito tried to open the creaky side door next to him. Everyone looked and silence immediately followed. The enemy team outside suddenly pulled the pins on some grenades and they were tossed straight thru the glass windows. Sinon and Asuna were closer to the same door as Kirito so I had no choice but to rush for the back. The frag grenades bounced as I shoulder checked the back door off it's hinges, narrowly evading the devastating explosion inside. I prepped my weapon quickly and moved around the building as fast as I could to reunite with my friends. Just as I met my team, I saw one enemy player turn the corner behind them at the same time as I did. The enemy drew his weapon at Kirito first because he was the closest but before the enemy could fire, Kirito smacked the player in the face with his rifle. He knocked the enemy to the ground and finished the downed player with a kick. He then took the smoke grenade off his belt and pulled the pin, tossing it slightly ahead.

"Good timing, Kirito! We can quickly evade and flank around to get the drop on them!" I commended but Kirito didn't even remotely move.

"No way I'm giving up this chance. Go! Save yourselves! I'll gladly take care of this!" He took an actual sword off the corpse of his kill and sprinted into the smoke with a grin.

"Kirito!" Asuna yelled and put out her hand to try to stop him but he was already gone.

"Circle's here, we have to go!" I quickly relayed.

"No way! We're not leaving Kirito behind, dammit!!" Asuna shouted in frustration.

Deep down she knew that it was already too late but in the end, I knew she wasn't going to move at all. There was nothing more that could be done.

"We don't have a choice." I lifted Asuna over my shoulder.

"What the hell?!" Asuna said with her head now behind me.

"Lynx, double time." I ordered and started sprinting away around the back of the gas station.

We swooped around, crossed the street and ended up within another forest area with plentiful tree cover. Sinon followed close while Asuna bashed repeatedly on my back with her fists. We ran up a large hill to the last high ground of the game but eventually, my back couldn't take the punishment from Asuna any longer. We reached the top of the hill and I dropped to one knee, then laid Asuna rather rough on the ground.

"Knock it off! It's just a game!" I braced myself with my right hand and got right in her face.

She had tears in her eyes and a hint blush on her face as she tried her best to collect herself. I got back up and drew my weapon, surveying the area around us with attentive care.

"How many left, K?" Sinon wanted to know.

"Hard to tell. There aren't many quads left from the looks of it." I assured her.