Return of the King

As we arrived at the Sylph territory, we began to hear the beginnings of drums being struck to a specific rhythm.

"Where's that coming from?" Liz wondered.

"Dunno. Maybe it's just to fill the silence." I thought.

I led the group forward and as I stepped foot within the city, trumpets began to blow to announce my royal arrival. A red carpet was already laid out before us and much of the Sylph population seemed to be cheering on the sidelines. The loud pops of confetti cannons fired into the air, allowing colourful streamers to fall and spin in the wind.

"Wow, K! This is all for you??" Liz asked.

"It would seem so. Tho, I'm not sure why." I still admired the display.

"Whatever it is, they must really like you!" Leafa attested.

"I'll say! Look at the crowd!" Asuna giggled and waved.

"Woooow! Look at all the confetti!" Silica pointed and Pina flew around in it.

Applause and praise came from all as we made our way down the red carpet. I looked up to the centre spire of Swilvane and witnessed a large flag roll downwards, opening to reveal a beautifully made tapestry of my distinct insignia. I was actually in awe at that detail and stared up at it for awhile as we walked.

"They're cheering for you, Hun." Sinon took my side and gripped my hand with a smile on her face.

Athena flew ahead and quickly grew, falling back to take my other hand and skip.

"This is the coolest thing!! I can't believe they're cheering for us!!" Klein drunkly said behind us with his arm around Kirito.

"Right? You gotta love being treated like royalty!" Kirito poked at Klein as he also put his arm around him.

"Ha ha, very funny. Because you literally have been treated like royalty before. This is my first time in the spotlight!" Klein practically hung onto Kirito.

"Would you two chill out? We're supposed to look professional." Agil advised, towering just behind them.

"He's right, Kirito. You should reserve yourself for the indoor festivities." Asuna took his other side and grabbed his hand.

"Right, lemme uhh..." Kirito and Klein unhinged from each other.

The group of us really took in the sights as we started to approach a few climbing stairs. We ascended up toward the entrance and there stood the Sylph Queen with a great big smile upon her face.

"Welcome back!" Sakuya couldn't hold back a hug.

Both Sinon and Athena had to let go of me but thankfully our little one found her mother's hand.

"It is great to see you again too, Sakuya." I patted her back and she pulled away, beckoning me and my family to stand alongside her.

I took one side of the Queen and she called Kirito to stand on the other side with Asuna, Yui, and the others.

"I can see you've planned this out." I chuckled next to her.

She gave me a heartfelt smile, appreciating that I noticed.

"I'm glad that you've finally returned from your extended leave. Alfheim has missed you." She put her hand on my shoulder and the band began to fade out.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are here to celebrate the return of a grand warrior and the companions that have helped him throughout his journey. We are here to commemorate these families for fighting side by side and showing true courage in the heat of battle. For its not just about the beasts you have slain, it is about the bonds you have forged together over time. May we celebrate our harmony! And dine within the light of the gods!" Sakuya grabbed both mine and Kirito's other hand and raised them up high.