Sept 1, Ecc 4

I didn't feel well most of today, I couldn't go to church so I watched my church's livestream. I'm thankful well enough at the moment to do my devotions now though! 😁 let's see if I can stay well long enough to finish them!

1 Again I saw all the oppressions that are done under the sun. And behold, the tears of the oppressed, and they had no one to comfort them! On the side of their oppressors there was power, and there was no one to comfort them.
There is so much evil and pain, if only you could comfort every single person who has ever been or is being hurt. I'm so glad that many people have found comfort in Christ.
The oppressed are constantly taken advantage of, similar to today. Oppressed by either the government, or gangs.

2 And I thought the dead who are already dead more fortunate than the living who are still alive.
Sometimes it seems better to die than live in this fallen world.
Sometimes it's easier to be dead than alive...No pain, no worries, no heartache.

3 But better than both is he who has not yet been and has not seen the evil deeds that are done under the sun.
This is deep. The ones who aren't even birthed into existence have it better than those who are alive and suffering, and those who are dead and have experienced suffering.
I also remember this verse and it stuck with me.
I remember a time when I was very very young and had all the innocence of childhood, I had no idea the world is such an evil place. Ignorance is bliss. Childhood ignorance and innocence was so amazing. I miss it.

4 Then I saw that all toil and all skill in work come from a man's envy of his neighbor. This also is vanity and a striving after wind.
Got to keep you with your neighbor! Work hard enough to get more toys then them! What a sad life, so full of vanity.
Sometimes we like to do things not only for the benefit of obtaining said things, but because we see our neighbors and friends have it. It's easy to envy people and forget they earned it through hard work. However, if you only try to copy them just for the sake of copying, it's almost worse than the first guy who just buys materials just cause.

5 The fool folds his hands and eats his own flesh.
I was really confused by 'eats his own flesh', so I did some research, and I think it means that he destroys himself, his own flesh, with idleness and apathy.

6 Better is a handful of quietness than two hands full of toil and a striving after wind.

7 Again, I saw vanity under the sun:

8 one person who has no other, either son or brother, yet there is no end to all his toil, and his eyes are never satisfied with riches, so that he never asks, "For whom am I toiling and depriving myself of pleasure?" This also is vanity and an unhappy business.
What's the point of riches if you don't use them for yourself or share them?
Reminds me of the old saying "money doesn't buy happiness". It's understandable if a rich person toils because he has a family, but a single, lonely man toiling and spending all for himself? That's arguably worse.

9 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil.

10 For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!
Just stop being lonely. Easy lol 😂

11 Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone?
Especially in Canada here, we have cold winters and I'm often cold even with lots of blankets! A hot water bottle helps, but I'm sure it's not as good a person.

12 And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him-a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
I like that, a three fold cord of a couple and God is not quickly broken.

13 Better was a poor and wise youth than an old and foolish king who no longer knew how to take advice.
The old have no excuse to be foolish. Young can get away with these things since they haven't lived long.

14 For he went from prison to the throne, though in his own kingdom he had been born poor.

15 I saw all the living who move about under the sun, along with that youth who was to stand in the king's place.

16 There was no end of all the people, all of whom he led. Yet those who come later will not rejoice in him. Surely this also is vanity and a striving after wind. - Ecclesiastes 4

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you so much for Your many blessings, thank you especially that I could see Will yesterday and today after not seeing him for a while, thank you so much for him, he is such a blessing to me! Thank you for camp Tamarack, thank you for the great time I had there, growing closer to You and Your children, thank you especially for Rachel, Esther and Michelle, they were such a blessing! Father please help everyone who went to Tamarack to keep all that they learned in their hearts, and not forget all the seminars and workshops after a few months. Thank you that my uncle is healing well from his accident a few weeks ago. Please be near everyone in my prayer journal, please guide and keep them all, in Jesus's name, Amen

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for another great day today. Thank you that I can spend this Sunday with Jessica and her family hearing your word and worshipping your name. I'm thankful I can have lots of good friends and family, especially Jessica. Please Lord help my grandmother quickly heal her shoulder. Please be with Liam and help him make the best decisions for himself. And lastly, Lord, please guide me and Jessica as we read your word and discuss your word. In your name i pray, amen.