2⋆Breathe

≫ THREE WEEKS EARLIER 

The sun feels extra strong, almost completely blinding, as Seonghwa makes his way through campus. In one hand he has his usual morning coffee and in the other he is carrying his MacBook, well equipped with the PowerPoint show he prepared last night.

The long black pants he is wearing feels heavy and way too hot to wear on such a sunny day, but Seonghwa has never liked wearing shorts even though he feels like burning up. His dark-blonde hair is flawlessly pushed back, and his white shirt is neatly tucked into his pants, as per usual.

"Morning, hyung~" the familiar, cheerful voice of Kim Hongjoong sings behind him causing Seonghwa to look over his shoulder. His best friend is coming running towards him with his bright red hair bouncing around his face as he moves.

"Good morning, Joong," Seonghwa smiles, patting Hongjoong on the shoulder as his friend catches up with him.

"Did you enjoy your summer?" Hongjoong asks, to which Seonghwa nods.

Seonghwa isn't too fond of lying to his best friend, but he doesn't feel ready to tell the truth yet. The truth which is how his girlfriend dumped him over the summer break, and how he had struggled to stop the tears from falling at night. Instead he puts on his best smile and pretends everything is alright.

"Ready to welcome some newbies?" Hongjoong laughs as they walk towards the auditorium. Seonghwa and Hongjoong are both top of their class of Economics studies at Yonsei University in Seoul, and have therefore been chosen to welcome, and tutor the new class starting this year.

"Of course. Piece of cake," Seonghwa grins.

They make their way through the crowd of the nervous faces of all the new students, but Seonghwa doesn't feel nervous at all. Standing in front of so many strangers is something that isn't bothering him at all. In fact, he quite enjoys it. He has always liked standing in front of people, feeling in charge and leading others. This is the way he was raised to be, as his father wants him to take over the family company and become the CEO one day.

Seonghwa's own classes aren't starting until next week, but the next couple of days he has to spend being available for any inquiries the new students may have. So far it hasn't been that bad, mostly questions about books and simple things like that, giving Seonghwa plenty of time to get settled back into his dorm room and hanging out with his friends, who he hasn't seen during the Summer break.

"So did you spot any cute ones yet?" Mingi, law student at Yonsei and one of Seonghwa's other friends, asks with that deep voice of his that makes all the girls swoon over him. That and his heart-melting smile.

"Not yet. Bro, there's so many I can't even keep my focus on one of them for two seconds," Hongjoong says while chewing loudly on his piece of fried chicken.

"No, you just can't keep your focus on anything, ever. Period," Mingi laughs just to receive a punch on his shoulder. He is right though, Hongjoong is easily distracted and often gets a million good ideas at once.

"Speaking of cuties!" Mingi turns to look at Seonghwa who has to swallow a lump in his throat, fearing what his taller friend is about to ask him. "Haven't seen Tzuyu around. Isn't she back at campus yet?"

Seonghwa nervously fiddles with the napkin in front of him, unsure whether to tell the truth to his friends, or keep it a secret for just a bit longer.

"No, she is still at her parents'," he lies, and looks down at the table.

He shouldn't tell them right now; the timing isn't right. And Hongjoong loves this fried chicken place, it wouldn't be fair to ruin the good mood and make this place the place where Seonghwa had to tell his friends he got dumped. At least that's the reason he convinces himself to believe, when he decides to stay silent about the truth.