21

Amelia

"After you put the wire on, you can add the ribbon," I tell Emma, while I show her how to make wreaths.

"Does it matter what color?" she asks.

I shake my head and grab a thick red spool for myself.

"Whatever you feel like," I tell her. "I like red because it compliments the green, but it's nice to mix it up. Not everyone likes what you and I do so it's good to get a mix."

The two of us have been making wreaths for about two hours now. My fingers are starting to hurt from tying all these tiny decorations into them. I don't mind making wreaths, but doing it consistently and without a break can be a little tiring. The only thing keeping me awake is the Christmas music playing in the background and teaching Emma how to make the wreaths properly. Mom asked me to bring her into work, which I wasn't particularly happy about because I like my alone time, but I was compliant nonetheless and everyone loves her here. She's a little young to work officially but Cheryl and I pay her cash under the table. That's what happened when I first started working here. 

"There," Emma says, showing me the wreath she put together.

It's looks quite good, actually. The decorations are put on delicately and she spaced everything out nicely so it's not too clustered.

Making wreaths might not seem hard, but I've found that there's a certain art to it.

"It looks good," I tell my sister, smiling at her for reassurance.

"Thanks, Amy. I'll be right back," she says. 

She grins at me and then leaves to put it out on display with the other finished ones.

I sigh and look out of the greenhouse. The sun is setting which is casting a pretty glow on all the trees outside. Light snow falls from the clouds, and an influx of people wander around the farm.

"I'm going to go put these out," I tell Cheryl, who is on the other side of the room, making tiny ornaments for the wreaths.

She smiles at me and tucks a piece of her grey hair behind her ear.

"Okay, dear. If you'd like, you can put those on the stand near David," she informs me. "I believe they're empty."

I nod and grab the two wreaths that I just finished putting together. Stepping outside, a breeze causes my cheeks to flush but it doesn't bother me. I prefer the cold and the greenhouse was getting a bit too warm for my liking. Cheryl always blasts the heat as high as the system will let her. Sometimes it feels nice when there's a blizzard or big drop in temperature, but today was not one of those days.

"I would have taken those out if I knew you were done with them," Emma comments when she nearly runs into me. I almost didn't see her there.

I shake my head. 

"You're good," I tell her. "I need a break from there anyways. I prefer being in the land of people. Plus I was beginning to sweat."

Emma laughs.

 "It is a bit lonely in there, isn't it?" she asks.

I shrug.

 "It's just secluded. I might ask if I can make wreaths out here next time."

"I don't see why you wouldn't be able to."

"Me neither," I say. "I'll be back in a second. I'm going to set these up by David."

Emma nods and we part ways so I can set up. David isn't sitting where he normally is, in this tiny shed that houses the register. He's most likely with Sage, helping wrap up trees, or maybe he's decided to take a break. I mean, he's been here since 9 am and it's now bordering on 7 pm. I'd want a break too if I were him.