33

Amelia

"Harry?" I say, causing him to lazily look over at me from where he is sat on the couch. I'm currently perched in a chair across from him, reading a book I found in his room. He suggested it to me a while ago and I figured I would try it to get my mind off of things, but it just isn't working. "I'm nervous for tonight."

Harry doesn't say anything initially, but then he opens up his arms as a gesture for me to come sit with him. I oblige, shutting the book carefully and resting it on the coffee table next to me. Standing up, I walk over to Harry and sit down next to him, his arms engulfing me in a warm embrace. 

"Don't be nervous, love," he whispers in my hair after kissing my temple. "My friends are going to love you. And I'll be here, and Mitch will be here. There'll be people you know." 

His words do little to calm me down, although I know he's telling the truth somehow. Maybe his other friends I haven't met yet will like me. And I can always bounce between him and Mitch, depending on how things go. I'm just stressed with having to meet everyone at this New Years Eve party tonight. I spent the majority of the week ignoring that tonight was approaching but I can't disregard it anymore. 

"And if you're really not having a good time," Harry continues. "you come find me and we'll go somewhere else." 

I laugh slightly, feeling him grin against the top of my head. 

"I'm not going to make you leave your own party," I mumble. 

I feel Harry shrug.

"I wouldn't mind abandoning my party, but only if you come with me," he says, causing me to turn my head to see the cheeky grin spread on his face. 

"Adventurous," I tease him. 

Harry wiggles his eyebrows and chuckles while leaning forward, stealing a kiss from me. 

I don't think I'll ever get over how perfect his lips feel. I've had my fair share of kisses before, but Harry's are just different. They're warm and soft, yet also passionate, even with the smallest of kisses. They also leave me feeling all tingly inside and I don't know why. 

I sigh when we pull away and feel my body melt into his as I sink lower into his frame. I shut my eyes briefly as I take this moment in. It's mid-afternoon and I know that come a couple of hours, people will already start to arrive. I think Harry's guests are due around 8 or 9 but Mitch and a couple other closer friends of his were invited earlier for a more intimate pre-celebration. 

I reluctantly peel myself off of Harry after our cuddling session so I can begin the process of getting ready. I didn't want to feel rushed so I decided to just start early. Better to be early than late, as my mom always says. Plus I think it'll ease my nerves to have ample time to get ready. 

It takes me a little while to shower and to make sure my body is thoroughly shaved. I'm paranoid beyond belief that I'll have a random strip of hair on my legs that someone will notice or that my hair won't be clean enough. In reality I know no one is going to be paying attention, but the irrational fear still courses through me. I'm not typically a stickler for anything other than good hygiene, like shaving, but tonight is different because I know Harry has invited some pretty high up people. I feel like I need to look like the typical beauty standard they outline in papers and online. 

When I'm done showering, I linger in my room with my robe on while I comb some products in my hair. I was torn between curling my hair and blowdrying it but ultimately I went with the latter. I thought it would go with my outfit nicer and it's a little easier than me trying to work a curling iron. I'm prone to burning myself and a hair dryer is a nicer option for myself. Plus it's something I've grown used to over the years so I'm fairly experienced with using it.