Chapter 1. Berk.

~No one's P.O.V~

This is Berk.

It's twelve days north of hopeless and a few degree south of freezing to death.

It's located solidly on the meridian of misery.

My village. In a word, sturdy. It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new.

We have fishing, hunting and a charming view of the sunsets.

The only problems are the pets. You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have...

"Dragons!"

Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues.

My name is Hiccup. Great name, I know. But it's not the worst. Parents believe that a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls.

Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.

"Hiccup!" Someone grabbed Hiccup by his collar, "What is he doing- What are you doing out?! Get inside!"

That's Stoick the Vast, chief of the tribe. They say when he was a baby, he chopped a dragon's head clean off its shoulders.

Do I believe it?

Yes, I do.

"What have we got?" The chief asked one of his Vikings, "Gronckels. Nadders. Zipplebacks. Oh, and Hoark saw a Monstrous Nightmare."

"Any Night Furies?" Stoick asked, whipping fire off of his shoulder pad.

"None so far."

"Good."

~No one's P.O.V~

"Oh! Nice of you to join the party! I thought you'd been carried off!"

"Who, me? Come on, I'm way too muscular for their taste. They wouldn't know what to do with all of this."

"They need toothpicks, don't they?"

The meat head with attitude and interchangeable hands is Gobber. I've been his apprentice since I was little. Well, littler.

"Fire!"

"Let's go!"

Oh, that's Fishlegs, Snotlout, the twins - Ruffnut and Tuffnut, and Astrid.

Oh, their job is so much cooler.

"Eh!" Gobber caught Hiccup before he could leave.

"Come on. Let me out, please. I need to make my mark." Hiccup pleaded to the blacksmith, "Oh. You've made plenty of marks, all in the wrong places."

"Please, two minutes. I'll kill a dragon. My life will get infinitely better."

"You can't lift a hammer. You can't swing an axe. You can't even throw one of these!" As Gobber held up rope with three iron balls attached to it, a Viking ran by, throwing it at a Deadly Nadder.

"Okay, fine, but this will throw it for me." When he touched the machine, it threw a rock in the head of a Viking, almost hitting Gobber in the process.