{Chapter 22} Get Your Mind out of The Gutter, Mason!

Danny

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid idiot!

Why did you let her walk out?

Everything was going perfect, just brilliant and then it all gets fucked up!

I pull into the doctor's office and dread what is coming. Why can't I just tell her what is wrong? Why can't I confess?

Because you are a coward.

What if she leaves? What if she decides that she wants a family and just finds someone else? What if… She said that she wanted a family, what if she really does? Whatever… Let's just get this over with. I open the door to the doctor's office and walk in to the receptionist.

"Hi, Daniel Mason. I have a 5:30 appointment," I say and she nods, typing into the computer.

"Okay, the doctor will be here in a few minutes, have a seat," she says and I go and sit down, picking up an outdated magazine and flipping through it distractedly.

"Mr. Mason?" The nurses voice calls out and I stand up, following her into one of the rooms. "The doctor will be with you in a minute," she says and I nod silently. I sit on the bed and stare mindlessly at the picture of a coffee shop.

Coffee shop.

Restaurant.

Waitress

Faye.

Get your mind out of the gutter Mason!

I turn and look at the other picture, an artsy picture of a sunset.

Sunset.

Romantic

Couples.

Love.

Faye.

I think you need to change your tampon, Danny.

I can almost hear my dad's voice telling me to grow a pair and man up. I never had the best relationship with my dad, we weren't exactly regular. He didn't take me to the batting cages or teach me how to ride a bike. Nope! Instead, he dragged me to work with him and taught me about spreadsheets and finance. I always knew what I had to do so when people asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, I knew what I had to do. Not what I wanted to do and that was that. I wanted to do was different from what I had to do but I'm not necessarily complaining.

I was better off than most people, I had a loving mother, adoring sisters, a roof over my head and plenty of food. My situation was certainly better than a lot of other peoples.

"Danny Mason?" The doctor walked in and I nodded. "Okay, your test results are back in and we have the verdict," he says, his face expression grim.

"Okay, what is it? I have been dragged in and out of this office since I was 5, better now than later right?" I say wryly

"Okay, well you have a genetic disorder that says that it's highly unlikely you'll be able to have children. I'm sorry, but you are 97% infertile, as per the test result we sent home last week," he says and I bow my head down.

Well, there goes my hopes of having a family.

"Okay, thanks doc," I say and hope down from the bed. I leave the doctor's office with my entire spirit shredded and my fight with Faye wasn't helping my mood. Heading home, I went straight up to my room and plugged in my music, turning it up to full.  Uneasy sleep finally came over me as my heart broke.