{Chapter 42} What A Cliche Line

Chapter 42

Danny

I woke up cold, no warm body in my arms and shot up straight, jumping out of bed and down the stairs in nothing but pajamas and a tee shirt.

"No, no, no, she wouldn't have left-"

"She's gone Danny, left an hour ago." Alex's voice breaks in and I stop abruptly, facing her and mum in the kitchen.

They were sitting on the barstools, with coffee mugs, looking at me with Pity. They were looking at me with pity!

"She left this," Mum slides an envelope towards me, with my name on it in her elegant scrawl. No doubt that they opened the letter, even though they tried to hide it.

"I'm sorry, son," Dad walked in and patted my shoulder, but I grabbed my shoes and took off towards the park, my only salvation.

Sitting down in the gazebo, I rip the letter open again and read through it.

Danny,

If you're reading this (what a cliché line) then I'm gone and I left without a goodbye (still really cliche). It's really late right now, and you're asleep in bed while I'm sitting at your desk writing this (you have a really nice desk). I have to confess that you're adorable when you sleep. Somehow this situation reminds me of that song Daylight by Maroon 5. So I guess, tonight I'll hold you so close but when the daylight comes I have to go. Just know that I didn't get any sleep at all tonight, just looked at you all night like Edward Cullen (he sparkles alright? It's creepy)

The truth is Danny, is that I'm selfish.

I'm tearing apart Mikey's world, leaving everybody hanging, breaking your heart and mine in the process. I'm selfish because I'm not brave enough to say this to your face. I'm not that strong or brave.

Right now, I'm caught in a whirlpool of self-loathing, I hate myself and no matter what anybody says, it was my fault. I did something to provoke him, I must have done something to deserve this. I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on my worst enemy, not even Brittany. Whatever I did to deserve this, I'm really truly sorry for.

I want you to go to Princeton, I want you to go to amazing college and live your life. Go out and get drunk (But have a designated driver, I've seen what bad choices can do), have some meaningless sex (list of things I never thought I'd say) and live your life to the fullest. Be who you want to be, be someone amazing, it doesn't matter if you're CEO or an elementary school teacher, be the best of who you are.

I called Collin for you, there is an opening for you, everything's set. Live your life, if not for me then for yourself.

And Danny, don't be afraid to fall in love. Love someone amazing; love someone brave and kind and genuine, you with your whole heart. I know how large that heart is. Love someone who is worthy of you, you deserve someone amazing and definitely someone not as broken as me.

I read somewhere, a book or a movie, it said "There's a story behind every person, there's a reason they are why they are, they aren't just like that because they wanted to be. Something in the past created them. And sometimes, it's impossible to fix them." That's a good line, that last one, definitely true.

I can't tell you where I am, just know I'm going where I'll be happy, and get a chance to start over. I promise I'll take care of myself, no cutting or relapses, and I promise you that I'm safe. Christy and the others have my address and e-mail, but they are sworn to secrecy.

Don't look for me Danny, if fate makes us meet once again, then we will. If it doesn't then we won't. Let's not let your rich powers tempt that. I hope that we do meet again someday when I'm not as broken and you're not as perfect, just kidding. But seriously...

I'll love you forever,

Your Faye.

P.S. I might have stolen most of your sweatshirts and a bottle of your cologne. I'll call Christy when I run out or they don't smell like you and I expect new ones please. I'm just kidding... But maybe you know, if you have time...

P.S.S Look inside the envelope, I have another copy too.

I love you...

Dot. Dot. Dot. That's how it ended.

And you know something?

An Ellipsis is used to indicate an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.

This meant we were not over.

Not by a long shot.