{Chapter 29} James From The Floor Above

Danny

April showers bring May flowers.

Got that right

After the horrible storms that we had all April, May seemed to burst through the door bringing Mancheston back to life. Flowers on literally every corner, weather it was a simple weed or a full out rose bush. The gazebo and stream were resurrected like Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday, and all out gorgeous.

Not as gorgeous as my girlfriend of course.

She was as perfect as ever, maybe even happier because she didn’t have to worry about the wrath of Brittany on a daily basis. She had started working at Delilah’s full time and was almost always with Christy, either choosing paint colors for the nursery or nursing on of her breakdowns and lashing outs. Not that I was complaining, because somehow in her juggling act, she still made enough time for me and Mikey too. But you couldn’t do the juggling act forever, eventually something had to slip, and in this case, I worried that it would be her. I walked into her apartment, using my key, and she was sitting at the dining table, running her hands through her hair with headphones plugged in. Her posture was ridged and when I gently touched her shoulder, she jumped like her butt was on fire.

“Don’t do that! You scared me,” she scolds and my eyes widen at her state. The bags under her eyes were evident and she was a little pale.

“Faye, what the hell!” I exclaim and she gives me a confused look.

“What?”

“You look like hell!”

“Thanks, that’s what every girl wants to hear from her boyfriend,” she states sarcastically, turning back to the papers.

“Sorry, what are you doing?” I sit across from her and she shrugs

“Paying bills, working out budgets. I’ll either have to pick up a few more shifts at Delilah’s or pick up a second job, probably the latter,” she mutters and does more calculations. Worry sets in, she already does way too much, something would have to give and this time I fear it would be her health.

“Sweetheart, you already do too much. Have you eaten yet?” I ask and she shakes her head.

“I’m not hungry. I’ll eat later,” she replies and my eyebrows furrow together.

“I know you didn’t eat anything for lunch, and you usually don’t eat breakfast, you have to eat Fayelynn,” I say and go to the fridge, picking out leftover pasta and plopping it in the microwave.

“I can take care of myself Danny, don’t worry about me.”

“Yeah, and not eating is such great proof of that,” I mutter, but she doesn’t hear me. I place the spaghetti in front of her but she doesn’t even look up.

“Eat.”

“I told you, I’m not hungry!” she snaps and I sigh, leaning back on the chair.

“I didn’t want to do this, but you leave me no choice,” I say and take a forkful of spaghetti, waving it in front of her, she opens her mouth and takes the bite, chewing slowly and still writing. I pull out another bite when she swallowed, I had to spoon-feed her every bite of the spaghetti because she was to god damn stubborn to eat it herself.

“You didn’t need to feed me like a child,” she snaps

“Then quit acting like one,” I retort back.

“I can take care of my own god damn self.”

“Yeah, and starving yourself really proves that,” I say right back