Chapter 6 Boys Will Be Good Sons

Kool

The traditional Friday night Somboon dinner always required formal attire. Men in suits and women in dresses with perfect makeup and perfect hair. Even when he had been a child he had been dressed as a miniature adult as had his cousins. Everyone sat around the expansively long handcrafted agarwood dining table with socially polite smiles as one family member tried to subtly outdo another. It would be accurate to say that the occasions were most uncomfortable on many levels. Kulap knew that tonight would be no exception.

He fastened the twenty-four karat white gold cufflinks with his initials etched in onyx to the wrists of his black silk dress shirt. His cufflinks of which he had more than a few pairs along with his watches were the only accessories Somboon men were approved to wear. This particular pair had been a recent gift from Mia for his college graduation. She considered Kulap's cufflinks to be his secret rebellion. She got a kick out of giving him such gifts in front of his parents who were oblivious to most of their son's like and dislikes. Or to put it simpler, they simply didn't care to know what he was interested in or what he enjoyed or what made him happy.

So engrained in their own traditions, Kulap's parents would most likely be shocked to learn that their son didn't want what they wanted. He didn't covet the money and power and prestige that came along with the name. In fact, Kulap was pretty sure they would collapse in complete disbelief if they ever found out he would happily chuck this life and life style if he could just be himself. Or he would if it didn't mean breaking the traditions and family expectations and the utter pressure of responsibility, they had placed on his shoulders since birth.

Kulap heaved a very burdensome and most uncharacteristic sigh. He glanced at himself in surprise which quickly changed to reproach as he heard the sound and realized it came from him. 'Be more careful,' he silently chastised himself with a stern look at his reflection. Obviously, Blue's text and Kulap's subsequent walk down memory lane was the reason for his atypical behavior but he needed to stay in control and stop broadcasting his emotions. Especially right now of all times. His family members loved to pounce on the tiniest hint of weakness. If he showed up tonight and showed even a glimmer of what he was feeling the wolves would be let loose, not to mention his mother. She would be appalled at what she would most likely deem a breach in proper etiquette. That would lead to a long lecture on pride, family honor, and a host of other supposedly detrimental characteristics a Somboon must maintain at all times.

Closing his eyes, he took several calming breaths before reaching out for his ever-black dinner jacket and slipping into it with ease. With one last glance in the mirror to make sure not a hair was out of place nor a wrinkle showing in his clothes, Kulap walked out of his suite and made his way downstairs to the formal sitting room saying a silent prayer that the night would pass swiftly and uneventfully.

For the most part luck seemed to be on Kulap's side during the family dinner. With the exception of his dour aunt and her equally dour twin daughters, the family was in good form. The many business achievements Kulap had pulled off over the course of the week played a large role in soothing their usually sour and overly critical attitudes. His father specifically seemed in good spirits along with his two brothers, Kulap's uncles. As the multi-faceted company stemmed from his father's side of the family and the business deals from this week alone amounted to tens of millions it was no surprise, they were feeling satisfied with their gains. And since his uncles were seemingly content then Kulap's three male cousins from that side of the family appeared equally content.

Arthit and Akara were brothers. Rune was an only child like Kulap. All three of them were very much alike and very much monkey see, monkey do when it came to their fathers. They didn't seem to have an original bone in their bodies or thoughts in their heads. If their fathers were in a bad mood then they were in a bad mood. If their father's showed displeasure then they showed displeasure. If on the rare occasion, like tonight, their fathers were pleased then they, too were pleased.