treinta y nueve

changbin dragged felix off at the bus stop towards the end of seoul after a journey full of light-hearted, playful flirting. knowing they had to walk another 5 minutes or so, the older wrapped his hand around the younger's colder one and squeezed softly as they strolled down the street. he knew felix was underdressed for the weather the minute he saw him. changbin's main priority was keeping the younger warm. he'd become so distracted by this that he nearly forgot where he was taking him.

felix looked at their intertwined fingers and grazed his thumb over the older's knuckles in an attentive and loving manner. he smiled to himself, in disbelief that this day was happening. he almost convinced himself that this was a fever dream of sorts and that he'd wake up in a cold sweat. but the warm hand in his was too definite to be a product of his imagination. that was the only indication that what the boy was experiencing was real. he was spacey and good at daydreaming, but not that good.

changbin, on the other hand, was a little trapped in his own head. every time the air was too silent for his liking, the words his father had thrown at him earlier that day flooded his mind, disrupting any and all stillness. he wished that wasn't the case; that he could flip a switch in his brain and simply forget about it. but with every attempt made to drown it out, he felt it boomerang right back at him ten times harder, just like his father himself.

despite his inner turmoil, after feeling the australian caress his hand with his thumb in the gentlest fashion, changbin felt a comforting rush of warmth spread throughout his chest. the things that his brain was tormenting him with mattered less by the second. the younger's presence could make you feel safe in a war zone. changbin felt free of all judgement with the redhead. for once, he had somewhere - someone - he could find sanctuary in. the shorter looked down at their joined hands as a sweet smile tugged at the corners of his mouth and his anger settled a little more.

while still unclear and in its infancy, changbin treasured his relationship with felix. even though he wasn't religious, he found himself praying silently that the younger felt the same addicting nausea when the two were together, and the same desperate pull when they were apart. he prayed that felix was as happy as himself, because after all he'd done to help without even realising, it's the least he deserved.

"alright, loser," the older began, jokingly bumping into the australian. "what size are your feet?"

"my what now?"

"your feet," changbin repeated, "what size are they?"

"uhh..." felix trailed off, evidently taken aback by the sudden question.

the raven haired boy face palmed and led the redhead through an icy white doorway. the youngest of the two wasn't the brightest of bulbs at the best of times, but that seemed extra evident any time he was with changbin. the raven haired stared at his idiot with a raised eyebrow, waiting for him to answer the question.

"7," felix stated, though it sounded more like a question to the older.

"great. i'll be back in a minute with your skates," changbin grinned as he turned his back, stepping towards reception.

the moment the word "skates" left changbin's mouth, felix's smile sparkled throughout the room. he hadn't been ice skating since he left australia years ago. he'd been far too preoccupied with schoolwork and couldn't find anyone to go with. skating on your own wasn't nearly as fun as watching your friends fall ass-first on the harsh ice. the friends he made at dance group were all too busy year round to agree to it and didn't want to heighten the risk of injury. so, he never went. having the opportunity fall at his feet had him feeling beyond excited. felix's feet bounced as he waited impatiently for the older to return.