Chapter 35

3rd person's view

F l a s h b a c k

“What's the matter, commander?” Eren sat back down. He was waiting for a response from either Levi or Hange, but none of them parted their lips to talk. He glances towards Mikasa and back to the commander.

“Apparently,” a voice spoke and all heads turned to Levi, “You did something unforgiving.”

“I-I did?”

“[Y/n]'s the female titan we've been encountering this past few days. We are going to save [Y/n] however we're going to keep her behind bars.” Levi's sharp eyes landed on Hange, though she only pursed her lips.

Although the three was already well aware of [Y/n]'s ability, Eren stuttered out a silent, “W-Why?”

Levi slammed his hands on Hange's table,“Because she's targetting you.” now that's a news for Eren.

Mikasa stood up, “Captain–” she cut herself when Hange raised her palm– hinting for Mikasa to stay put. 

“W-Why me?” Eren asked.  “It occurred way back in the war between us, Reiner and Betholdt in Wall Maria. I was there, I was the one whom hauled her away from the death scene of her mother.. and I could possibly be the reason why she's living.. suffering.. i-it's my fault–”

“Hange, snap out of it.” Levi lightly raised his voice and sighed afterwards. He pulled out a clean handkerchief and handed it over to Hange. Hange was confused at first, but then realized she was tearing up.

The captain and the commander's interaction with each other was seen as quite odd from Eren, Mikasa and Armin's perspective.

Hange pushed the handkerchief away and fixed her posture, “Eren, you.. ate her mother. I don't exactly know why you did that, but you did it.”

“C-Commander!” he stood up, “I can't do that to her nor to her mother! We're close frien–”

“But you did it, Eren. Yuji and Chloe sacrificed their lives for her to attain revenge and that's killing the titan who devoured her mother right in front of her eyes. She's out for blood, Eren. You have no idea the possible reason for your death was the girl you view as an innocent, harmless childhood friend.” Levi neatly folded his handkerchief, “Luckily, all this time she doesn't know you're the culprit.. yet”

“So do your best to defeat her but keep her alive. Take damage from her while we keep Takashi from helping [Y/n].”

P r e s e n t  t i m e

Eren turned around the corner, by the end of the hallway he saw a figure sitting on a chair in front of a certain room. As he went near, he made out the person to be Hange.

“Commander,” Eren approached her. “Oh,” Hange immediately turned around from her chair, though Eren caught a glimpse of her and she was  silently crying. “What're you doing here?”

Eren scanned [Y/n]'s room. It was nothing special, just a candle sitting on a wooden table across the room. While [Y/n]'s sleeping on a single wooden bunk bed.

Eren's eyes landed back on the wooden table and discovered an object he didn't saw at first glance. Beside the lit candle was a notebook. An old looking one, it almost camouflages on the table. 

“Eren I need you to clear one thing for me.” Eren everted his eyes from the mysterious notebook. “Yes?”

“Do you really like [Y/n]?”

Eren blinked many times, he seems hesitant in answering. He just didn't want to give her a straight answer, then Hange would think Eren's a creep without even considering anything.. or so he thought.

“I-I mean.. I don't really like her but– I– We just had a history together an–”

“Yes or no?”

“Or.”

Hange whipped her head towards Eren, “I-I mean–”

“Or is also a great choice but yes no?”

“Where's the or–”

“Eren!”

“Sorry..”

Hange looked at [Y/n]'s sleeping form, “Do you really like her?”  Eren clenched his fist and tried his best containing his smile, but as soon as he opened his mouth, all he could do was  wide smile. Hange quickly perceived his actions.

“Why?”

“W-Why?” Eren's smiled faded and tilted his head.

“Why?”

“I don't really know.. I don't know why of all people, why [Y/n]? There's Mikasa or Historia.. a lot of girls much better than [Y/n]..” seemingly annoyed from his answer, Hange was about to retort something. “B-But commander, the girls I mentioned has good reputations thus people perceived them to be the perfect girlfriends.. however for me, seeing the girl's true nature at first glance is what kept me engaged with [Y/n]. She's been real even the very first day we met. Though, even if I saw apparent improvements from her, I could still tell she's that 90° bowing girl.” all throughout his explanation, Hange can't seem to contain her smile.

She relates to almost everything Eren stated, and her reacting this way just proves Eren's point.

“Eren.. [Y/n]'s past.. do you know about her past?”

“No”

Hange nodded, “That's all. You should rest now. I'll watch over [Y/n].”

“Before I leave.. it may sound personal but why are you crying, commander?”  Hange chuckled,  “I'm not crying Eren,  That's what you call sweat.”

Eren flinched, “I-Is that so?”

“Just go little boy. Take your rest.. the day is nearing again; where we will go back to wall Maria.. I believe the war isn't over just yet.”

Eren bowed, “I think you're crying because you got attached to [Y/n]. Seeing her cause this can be really painful.. I'll be going now.” Hange watched him perish into thin air when he turned around the corners. She couldn't help but smile, “Yeah.. you're right.” she then looked at [Y/n]'s peaceful state, “I said I won't get attached..”