Chapter 40

[Y/n]'s P.O.V

I shut my eyes in hopes of forcing myself to sleep, unfortunately it's not working. I sat up to check for the moon and somehow, seeing how calm the midnight is just gave me more reason not to sleep.

A lot has happened, this may not be the best time to reflect on them, but what if the frustration of recalling painful memories tires my mind out and eventually find myself sleeping?

“I don't know..” I threw myself on the bed again. Eren.. he's casual just like Jean.. he seem to be trying his best to give himself a good impression for me to not see him as a pain in the ass whenever we would have an interaction.

I won't deny it though, it helped. After knowing him to be the culprit, I don't know what to consider him anymore.. however with the help of his natural acting, I thought letting life torture him is the best solution.

I'll enjoy the moments we're having fun, because sooner or later, one of us has to go.

“[Y/n]?” my eyes shot open when I heard a knock from my door, afterwards I heard a lot of heavy footsteps.

It's in the middle of the night.. why are they all awake?

I opened the door and saw Takashi with his complete uniform and gear. I poke my head out from the door frame and saw Sasha, Connie and the others in complete gear.

“What.. ?”

“Dress up.”

Dress up?

“Captain Levi and Commander Hange moved the date. We'll be attacking today.. I'll tell you why after you changed” he moved aside as Sasha unlocked the cuffs around my wrist.

I took a quick change,  afterwards left my room. I saw Eren and Takashi waiting for me– no one bothered to start a conversation until I had to clear my throat.

“What's happening hmm?” I asked, “Apparently Captain Levi and Commander changed the schedule. ”

“And what's their reason?”

Eren started walking ahead, Takashi and I following behind. “The beast titan shows up in wall Maria rarely. Now that we don't have anyone to fight, there's no reason for him to go there. Commander Hange had her hawk-eyes glued on the beast titan so she knew that the beast titan has this ability to control other titans, however the controlled titans cannot move in the night.”

I gaze outside the familiar gigantic windows,  “We can fight him easily.. that's a smart plan and all but let's go back to captain and the commander changing schedules because the beast titan is rarely seen in Wall Maria. How exactly can we know he's there in Wall Maria right now?”

They will amaze me if we got there and saw the beast titan immediately. They are good in predicting, I'll give Hange and Levi that.

“Every night, the beast titan's there to waste his night and moves in broad daylight. That's why when you and I fought in Wall Maria, there's no sign of him there. ” we left the building and Eren instructed us to ride our horses.  Apparently, they're already by the walls– though they're still waiting for some soldiers and having a one last sweep to ensure the plan goes smoothly.

“The walls are his favorite place to go because he can go up there with no troubles in climbing. ” Takashi stated.

Eren nodded, “And the fact that from up there he can see everything. ”

From the distance, I distinguished the Survey corps' famous logo from each capes. I'm not certain exactly how many soldiers are here, but I'm certain they're twice the number we brought when we fought Reiner.

“We're here!” Eren led us to the very front where the other captains positioned.  “Here you go. We'll split up, and as always, we meet at the border of Wall Maria.” Hange gave Eren a torch.

Levi specifically told me when we're split into groups, I'll be grouped with Takashi and Eren. No more than those two. 

“We'll go front, we need to be there first in order to start everything. ” we all waited for everyone to settle themselves before Hange signalled a go.

“Now split!” upon splitting, we were left in the middle. It's less likely to encounter a titan in the middle since they tend to appear on the sides– which the other soldiers got covered. However, from afar, I sensed an abnormal titan.

I squinted my eyes, “Should we take the titan down from my left?”

“Titan?” Eren looked at the left and squinted his eyes, “Ignore it. Don't charge, our duty is to go there first without using any of our gasses. ”

I nodded. Though I couldn't shake off a weird feeling about that titan..

Could it be..

“The beast titan,” I mumbled. Eren whipped his head behind, “The what?”

“Sasha! Charge at it!” I yelled. “What?! No [Y/n]!” Eren shook his head and yelled at Sasha, “Sasha!! Don't–”

“Eren, she needs to charge or I will charge. ” I noticed Takashi's hands already gripping on his swords, Eren took notice too, however ignored it,  “Takashi we can't do anything as of the moment!”

This is a bad time.. Levi could've changed the schedule and told us much earlier! We don't have any time left!

Our heads turned back to Sasha's group as we all heard a steam forcing out from Sasha's gear.

“Now go!!” she pointed at the walls.  I nodded and gave her a thumbs up– to show my appreciation and sped up our horses. “We need to hurry, the sun is already setting. ”

From afar, we could already see the sun slowly revealing itself. A timer, we're almost running out of time.

We speed around alleyways until we found a spot safe for our horses. After parking them, we ran a safe distance from the horses– crouching.

“Don't transform yet. ” Takashi's hands firmly riveted Eren from biting his hands. We glanced at him, “Where is he?” I looked up.

“He could be somewhere. He was the one who controlled that titan earlier.” Takashi also noticed that.

There's no doubt he's finding a spot to fight us from the distance. I think the moment he saw us, he controlled that titan to charge at Eren– reason why the titan's not falling for Sasha's distractions.  Through that, it gave the beast titan the opportunity to leave the walls.

This is real bad.

“We need to transform and find him–”

“Don't be stupid, if we did that then it will be easier for the beast titan to target us. Look who's the one who's not sticking to the plan. ” Takashi cut him off.