five

Shawn's POV

I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach when she said her last words and walked away from me. I stayed there shocked by what had happened. She really dragged my ass and left without looking back. What a mess, I thought.

Well, my mess. Maybe I was wrong after all. Maybe she wasn't fucking my dad...? Ugh, I am such an idiot. Why did I have to say that? What if she actually wants to sue him when he knows nothing about it.

But it all had been so clear to me.The calls, the late office hours, the meetings, how they talked about each other... Wow, I was really such a douchbag. How could I think that of my dad and this girl I barely knew?

You fucking idiot, Shawn. I felt sick.

I had to fix this, for my dad and Camila's sake. Shit. I was mortified. I assumed so quickly something between them was going on I didn't left room for thinking otherwise. I was also a dick to her when obviously didn't deserve it. Fuck.

"Are you here for Manuel Mendes?", a middle age woman in a light blue gown asked me.

"Yes, I am", I said quickly getting on my feet in front of her, going back to the sad reality.

"I came to let you know that he was taken into surgery. Doctors are doing their best. Apparently there was a rupture in the abdominal area, but they'll know more when they get a better look of what's going on inside. I'll keep you updated as I know more of his state"

"I... Ok. Thank you", I said rubbing my hands nervously.

"No problem, just wait here". She turned around and crossed the "authorized personnel only" doors.

I sat back down and ran my hands through my hair. I picked up my phone to call my sister and let her know about dad. Then I'd have to find a way of fixing the stupid mess I'd made.

It was sad and lonely being here on my own waiting for news on my dad. I was terrified of what was going on with him. I didn't want to lose him. I wished my mom or my sister were here with me, but that was impossible at the moment, that's why I had moved alone to the city.

Four hours, a nap and a gross hospital cup of coffee later, the same nurse appeared through the doors walking side by side with another woman slightly younger than her in a blue gown.

The nurse pointed at me and the doctor smiled before saying anything. I could heard my heart pumping in my ears because of how nervous I was.

"Are you Manuel Mendes' relative?", she asked me.

"Yes", I replied quickly, "I'm his son. Shawn"

"Hi, Shawn. I'm Dr. Lyss. I performed surgery on your dad today"

"How is he?", I asked quickly.

"He's out of surgery now. He lost some blood after some complications on his pancreas. I'm sure you know about the state of his cancer and how aggressive it has turned the last time. The tissues of his organs are deteriorating and were very fragile. Luckily, we managed to stop the bleeding and everything looks fine as for now. He's been taken to the recovery room".

"Can I see him?"

I wanted to see him so bad.

"Yes, of course. It'll take a while before he wakes up, be patient".

"Yeah. Thank you so much".

"Don't worry. I'll check on him tomorrow". She squeezed my shoulder before smiling and turning around.

The nurse motion me to follow her as she took me to my father's room. She opened the door and waited for me to go inside before closing it behind me.