nineteen

Shawn's POV

I had push my emotions so deep down to avoid feeling like I was feeling about my dad, that in the process I also brushed off the depth of my feelings for Camila. I hadn't had time to think about them; reflecting on them never crossed my mind. The moment she said she loved me, I froze because I was not ready to hear it, but in the next 2 seconds they hit me like a truck. I loved her, there was no doubt about that. I didn't need to think much about it, I knew I did, I felt it. It was like they were just waiting for me to acknowledge them.

Now my heart was shielded against bad thoughts or negative vibes, because she had pushed all of those away. She was a ball of sunshine and energy and had ran into my life to infect me of her spirit. I was so grateful for her, for having her around during these crazy, scary times. However, I was worried I wasn't bringing the same sentiments to her life. She was always looking after me and fixing my messes. I wanted to be better, to be worthy.

I waited outside the classroom until the door opened and people left with books on their hands. It was the last class she had before the winter break and I wanted to surprise her. I stepped inside when people stopped coming out of there and I assumed she was alone.

She was on the desk, her hair around her shoulders and her glasses over her perfect nose, but she wasn't alone. There was still a guy talking to her.

"There must be something to be done here. I'm not satisfied with this grade, I think I did much better than this. How can I get Mr. Mendes to grade this?", the guy said.

I waited, not coming closer to them. Camila had seen me but the student was still ranting unaware that they weren't alone anymore.

"Here's the rubric, we can go over it again and check why you got the grade you got. I assure you there's no one else you can talk to that will change your grade, not even Mr. Mendes, who by the way is on medical leave and does not have time to check your work, Gregory".

She sounded firm and convincing. I smiled to myself knowing the amazing woman she was.

"I'll talk to the Dean about it", the guy said.

"Alright, you do that and then tell me how it goes", she snapped back. I chuckled and the guy finally looked in my direction.

"I can't believe this. Mr. Mendes would have never allow-"

"Allow what?", I interrupted him.

"Allow a Master undergraduate running his class and failing me", he said.

"Oh really?", I asked him taking some steps closer.

"Who even are you?"

"I'm Manuel Mendes' son, Shawn. Nice to me you", I offered my hand to him and he took it looking suspicious at me.

"Well in that case you should tell your dad that this girl here is ruining his class".

Oh this kid was getting on my nerves.

"Funny you say that, because actually my dad sent me here to thank Ms. Cabello for her incredible work. He has kept a close eye on her and he's amazed by everything she's done".

The guy deadpanned and tried to say something but nothing came out of his mouth.

"Hi. Sorry to ask for this, but do you think Mr. Mendes would be willing to check this one assignment?", Camila said softly from her seat.

"I would have to ask first, but if you think it's a good idea then he will be on board", I replied.

"Mr. Roden here would pretty much love that, wouldn't you?", Camilas asked and he nodded like if he had finally recovered.