twenty

Camila's POV

I didn't know if Shawn was nervous or anxious about seeing his mom and sister again, either way he looked like a ball of energy wandering around not doing anything productive.

"Babe?", I asked him.

"Yeah?", he said right away.

"Are you ok?"

He stopped what he was doing, whatever that was, and looked at me. He took a breath and tried to calm himself down, finally noticing the frenzy he was on.

"I'm nervous, I guess", he laughed just like it.

"Why?", I asked curiously.

"I don't know, maybe because my parents haven't seen each other in a while and I don't know how they will react".

"But you said they had a good relationship".

"They do, but... They don't know I know this but 6 years ago, just before my dad moved here they reconnected... romantically and I think it didn't go well. They never told us and tried to act like nothing had happened and they were still friends but I saw them".

"Oh wow. But they've seen each other since then".

"Right but this time is different and my dad is dating and... you know, nevermind. I'm probably just freaking out over nothing. I've been too stressed".

"It's going to be ok", I told him cupping his face between my hands. He closed her eyes and I brushed my thumbs around his eyes.

"I should probably go pick them up at the airport now".

"Do you want me to go with you?", I asked.

"I do, but I don't want my dad to be alone. Can you stay with him?"

"Totally. Call me when you're heading back".

"Ok", he kissed me. "Bye".

...

Shawn's mom had some piercing blue eyes that I wasn't expecting since his eyes were brown. She was taller than me but that part was not surprising.

"You must be Camila", she said when she walked through the door.

"Yes, nice to meet you", I said shyly.

"I've heard a lot from you, darling", she also had a tiny bit of a British accent. "My kids are fascinated with you, this one in particular", she said pointing at Shawn.

"They're both great".

Karen and Aaliyah wandered inside the house after saying hi and moved to Manny's room. I hugged and kissed Shawn before following them. Aaliyah was hugging his dad when we joined them looking from the door frame. Karen was speechless and it took me a while before noticing that she was quietly sobbing.

"Oh, Manuel", she breathed out in agony before throwing herself at him.

They had a lot to catch up and talk so we left them alone. Shawn, his sister and I went out to buy take out dinner. Aaliyah said she had tried the best sushi in a restaurant nearby the last time he visited so we went there.

"My mom didn't know what to expect", Aaliyah said while we waited for our order. "I think she was in shock. He looks even paler and skinnier than the last time I saw him".

"He's been tired and not eating much, he says food doesn't taste the same but I've been trying to get him to eat more", Shawn told her while he stood behind me and placed his hands on my shoulders.

"You do a lot, Shawn. I saw that the last time", his sister said with a sweet smile.

"I've had some help lately", he said with a funny voice.