fourteen

Camila's POV

I was impressed of how similar Shawn and Aaliyah were, not only physically but the way they acted. They had the same temper although they didn't look eye on eye in many things, but it was fun  seeing them argue. She was so nice and always full of energy. Manny and her spent a couple days sightseeing the city and the tourist places, time Shawn and I used in other affairs.

On Halloween weekend I drove to my parents for the day and let the Mendes spent some alone family time. I returned just in time to go to a party with Shawn and Aaliyah. My boyfriend and I looked at each other when she pulled a fake ID card and the security guard barely looked at it and let her in. She smiled proudly and walked with us inside. It was a fun night but I knew Shawn was worried about his dad so we left not so late.

Today, Shawn was taking Aaliyah to the airport so she could take her flight back home. I had said goodbye to her the previous night because I had stuff to do at the university. Shawn called around noon and told me Aaliyah's flight had been delayed and he was waiting with her. I finished my tasks and drove to Manny's place to make him company and wait for my boyfriend. Wow, boyfriend.

I knocked on the door and I started to worry when he wasn't opening. What if he was in trouble? What if he had had some accident and was unconscious? I was about to scream when he finally opened the door.

"Hi", I said softly.

"Oh, hi Camila".

"I was getting worried", I said with a soft laugh and he smiled. He wasn't letting me in for some reason, maybe this wasn't a good time. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry. Come in", he opened the door wider and stepped inside.

My eyes opened when I saw a woman sat on his living room but I quickly recognized her. She worked at the university, in our same department. What was her name?

"Camila you've met Gina, right?" Manny said and she stood up to shake hands. I took it and nodded.

"Yeah. Hi, how are you?"

"Good, thanks. You?", she said with a smile.

"I'm good", I said.

I didn't know what to do. Was I interrupting something? Were they busy with some important conversation?

"I was just leaving", she told me with a smile and I smiled back. Was this weird, that I was in his house? I didn't know if people knew how close we are or that I was dating his son.

"Thank you for coming", Manny said cordially.

"No problem", she said. "Take care, Manuel. Bye, Camila".

I nodded silently and they walked to the door while I made my way to the kitchen. My mind went wild thinking about the possible scenarios for her visit. She could have been just visiting a friend, of course, but what if it had to do with me? What if someone had made some complaints against me? What if people were not happy with my work?

"What brings you here?", Manny said when he joined me in the kitchen, taking me out of my confused thoughts.

"Oh... I, uh. Shawn said he was waiting with Aaliyah at the airport because her flight got delayed so I thought of coming here and making you company", I explained.

"Oh, yeah. He texted. Thank you for coming, but you didn't have to. I'm ok".

"Do you want me to leave?"

"What? No, no, you're already here. I'm just saying that you guys don't have to worry so much about me".

"But we do", I whispered.