thirty-nine

Camila's POV

By the time we had come back home with Mandy from doing all the shopping, I had made peace with the crazy idea I had thrown in Shawn's direction. My friend laughed at me first when I told her but she agreed it was a good idea to our problem at hands. Maybe I should've told him a little bit differently, not scaring him off. I didn't want to get married to put a leash around his neck, I just wanted our little family to be safe. I also didn't know where we stood in terms of marriage, we never discussed it. His parents were divorced and maybe that was a sign he didn't believe in marriage. I wasn't a big believer either, I just saw the practical side of it.

I put the boxes with tiny clothes in the bedroom and went back to the kitchen for a cup of tea. Since coffee was out of the table, tea was my comfort drink now.

I was on the living room, catching up with the world on my phone and my cup on the other hand when the door opened and Shawn rushed inside.

"Ok, here's the thing", he said before even saying hello. He looked a bit stressed and nervous. I stood up and looked at him confused.

"What's going on?", I asked him.

"Sit there", he told me and I obeyed without taking my eyes off him.

"If this is about what I said this morning, I'm sorry. Forget I said it, it doesn't matter", I said and he shook his head ignoring me.

He walked towards the kitchen and opened a cabinet.

"Shawn, why are you acting so weird? I'm sorry I said that, I wasn't trying to push you or anything...", I started to say and walked behind him.

"I need you to keep quiet", he told me turning around and I frowned. "And close your eyes, trust me".

When the smell of coffee flew around the kitchen I gagged and my stomach felt dizzy but I tried to remind quiet and with my eyes closed, as weird as that was.

"Open", he said and I did.

He was in front of me, on his knee.

"What are you doing?", I asked him at a lost.

"Camila, I... I've had this ring for a couple of weeks now and I was actually planning on... on proposing to you tonight. That's... that's why I said we should go out for dinner but then you said that and I felt like you've blown my surprise and then I started overthinking because maybe you didn't want to marry me for the same reasons...", he ranted.

"Shawn", I sighed completely perplexed and shocked.

"I'm gonna do it either way, so here it goes", he took a deep breath and then continued. "Camila, I love you and I love that you're going to be the mother of my kid because we'll be extremely lucky to have you. I don't know much about life, but I know it's been a thousand times better now that you are in it. Will you be willing to spend the rest of your life with me?... Will you marry me?"

"What?", was the only stupid thing I managed to say, I was too shocked.

"Ok, I'll ask again", he laughed nervously. "Camila, will you marry me?"

I fell to my knees and looked at him in the eyes. His breathing was a bit uneven and I could see the beating of his heart on a vein in his neck. I'd never seen him this nervous. I took his face on my hands and brushed his cheeks with my thumbs.

"Shawn... Yes", I said softly but he didn't react. Maybe he didn't hear me?

"What was that?", he asked me.

"Yes", I replied. "I said yes".

"Say it again".

"Yes, Shawn. I will marry you".

He stomped his mouth with mine in a forceful kiss that little by little melted into a sensual brush of our lips and tongues. I felt a few tears running down my face and I wanted to blame the hormones but I was sure I would've been having the same reaction even if I wasn't pregnant.

"You sure?", he asked me keeping our foreheads together while we caught our breath.

"I am", I giggled.

"For real?", he insisted and I kissed his mouth to stop him from asking more questions.

"I'm sorry I made you overthink this", I said while we stood up.

"No, it's ok. At least I knew you were willing to marry me one way or another", he chuckled.

"I never thought you wanted to marry", I confessed.

"It wasn't on my plans until I met you".

"Our plans have changed a lot since we met", I said and he nodded in agreement.

"And I love that".

"Why does it smell like coffee?", I asked looking around.

"Oh shit, right", he said and opened the box with a delicate three diamonds engagement ring. "I put it on the coffee cabinet so you wouldn't find it. Do you like it?"

He slid the ring on my finger and I took a look at it. My first reaction was that I was glad it didn't smell like coffee, like the velvet box did. My second reaction was that I absolutely loved it.

"It's gorgeous", I sighed touching the stones. "Why three?"

"You, me and the baby", he explained.

"I love you", I said cupping his face and kissing him again.

"I love you too".

I looked at the ring mesmerized with the moment until a laughter escaped my mouth.

"What?", Shawn asked me.

"This was a bit chaotic and funny", I said.

He thought about it and then laughed with me.

"In my defense, this was not how I planned it in my head".

"And for the record, I'm not only marrying you to get you the citizenship as I said this morning... I'm actually really into you", I said sarcastically at the end.

"Good, because it would be awkward otherwise. Given you're carrying my child and, you know, we live together", he said looking contemplative at the ceiling.

"Good point", I agreed.

"I'm so in love with you", he said and brought me closer to his chest, surrounding me with his strong arms.

"I'm so in love with you too", I replied breathing in his perfume that was one of the few smell I actually enjoyed lately.

——————

a/n: Kinda short but I didn't want to ruin the moment with other stuff. Tell me what you think