twenty-nine

Camila's POV

I was nervous and not only because of my own problems, but because Manny was in the doctor's office right now checking the last tests he had taken. I had a good feelings but I was still going out of my mind.

I drove to the hospital as soon as the class ended and waited outside for them. I bit my lip and played nervously with my hands while I checked my phone every second and looked around to see if they appeared down the hall.

My stomach wasn't more than just a big knock inside of me when I finally saw them leaving the doctor's office. I stood up immediately and walked to them slowly, like if I was going to approach some scary animal.

"And?", I asked with my heart in my throat. Their faces didn't show anything.

"He's cancer free", Shawn said in a whisper and I screamed before jumping to hug Manny.

"For now", he clarified but I was too happy and relieved to care.

"Oh my God, I'm so happy", I said still holding him.

"Thank you", he said back with a smile. "And happy birthday".

I got overwhelmed with feelings, like it had happened many times already, and tears flooded my eyes.

"Hey, it's ok", Manny said seeing my reaction.

"I'm fine", I told him.

"Do I get a hug?", Shawn asked me and I went to hide my crying face in his chest. He was the best one to comfort me. "Happy birthday, baby".

We drove back to Manny's place and they explained what the doctor had said. The tests results showed the tumor was gone, so Manny was officially on remission. It was an aggressive cancer, so there were chances it could come back in the future, he was going to have to be careful and do regular check ups. As for now, his immune system was still recovering and it going to take a while longer until it was at its full potential.

When Gina arrived, Shawn suggested to go out for a walk to leave them alone and catch up.

"I can't believe this", he said in a whisper, an incredulous but happy whisper.

I squeezed his hand in mine and laid a bit on his body.

"I'm so happy for you two".

"I knew you were my lucky charm", he kissed me and then we sat on a bench at the park.

"Were you nervous?", I asked.

"So freaking nervous, but I was prepared for the worst. I didn't want to get my hopes up", he told me.

"But everything turned out great", I reminded him.

"Finally..."

I was on a countdown to do something about the pregnancy because I had set midnight as my deadline. I needed to make out my mind soon, so I needed to address the elephant in the room.

"Shawn..."

"Yes?"

"What would happen if I have this baby?"

He took a deep breath and put his arm around my shoulders. No matter what, I knew I had him by my side.

"Then we would be parents and I would do my best to be a good dad", he told me.

"Aren't you afraid?"

"Terrified actually", he chuckled nervously. "But I would be most than willing to try".

"And if I terminate it?"

"Then we go on with our lives doing that. I'll love and support you either way".