fifty

Shawn's POV

I placed Alex over my chest and we lay on the sofa watching TV. Camila didn't like when I did this because she said he would get used to being carried to sleep and then it would be more difficult for us, but I didn't care, my son could sleep wherever he wanted. He was wearing a fluffy onesie since it was really cold outside, it had snowed last night and he didn't quite control his body temperature yet. He looked so cute.

He moved up and down on my chest with the rhythm of my breathing. He was sound asleep and I hoped he was staying that way because Camila wasn't home at the moment and the second he wakes up he would scream for her.

Camila had gone to Mr. Hills office, the dean, to talk about her new job. She was excited this morning, but also nervous because she hadn't left Alex's side since he was born. She texted me when she got there and she was going to do it when she was on her way back as well.

I heard a knock on the door and my heart stopped thinking that would've woken up Alex, but it didn't. I placed one hand on his back and the other under his leg to stand up without disturbing him. I walked towards the door slowly and tried to move delicately while opening the door.

"Hi!", Ella said cheerfully and I closed my eyes praying she hadn't ruined his sleep... but she had.

My baby quivered in my arms and groaned at the sudden noise, opening and closing his eyes multiple times before he opened his mouth and started whining and crying.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry", Ella said covering her mouth and closing the door when she followed me.

"Camila isn't here and it's difficult to put him down if it isn't by breastfeeding him", I explained before even saying hi.

"Does he have a pacifier?", Ella asked me.

"Yeah, but he doesn't want it. We've tried". Still, I walked over his room and took the pacifier from the cabinet.

"Can I?", Ella said and I gave it to her, really hopeless at what she was trying to do, but I let her anyways.

"Sure", I shrugged and she walked closer to us, picking the pacifier from my hands and moving it over his lips that were opened, crying. He got a bit distracted by the touch, although he didn't stop altogether.

"Hey, Alex", she murmured to him. "This is yummy".

She put the pacifier in his tiny mouth and he resisted but she twisted inside his mouth a bit until he gave up and started sucking on it. The second the room went quiet again, I felt my soul coming back to me.

"I can't believe this", I whispered, still a bit scared that my baby was going to spit the pacifier and cry again at any moment.

"It's a gift", Ella shrugged. "I'm not good with babies, but for some reason they take the pacifier when I give it to them. It worked with my two nieces".

"You are an angel", I said.

"I know", she smiled and took off his coat.

"Hi, by the way", I chuckled. "How are you?"

"I'm good. Sorry I came without telling you, it's just a quick visit".

"No worries. We're just... hanging out", I told her looking down at my son who was so chill now.

"Where's Camila?", Ella asked me.

"She had to go to college for her new job".

"Oh that's so great", she smiled. "I was hoping I could see you all before leaving but well..."

"Leaving?", I frowned.

"It's just for a few months, I'll be back", she smiled.

"Where are you going?"