Chapter Thirty-Four: Selling Out

(Y/N)'s POV

Today started out like any other, Squidward and I were mopping the floor, Spongebob was in the kitchen, and Mr. Krabs was at the register counting the money inside. The ground started to rumble and a crowd came in running over Squidward. Once everyone was at the register, I helped Squidward back on his feet and he adjusted his shirt like he always does.

"I feel so alive!" We heard Mr. Krabs say before bursting into song, 'Cha ching. Cha-ching. Cha-chingaree. Money, oh money, how I love thee. Cha-ching. Cha-chong. Cha-changaroo. From pennies to dollars. Any amount will do. Cha-ching. Cha-ching. It's no contest. There's only one thing that I love the best from every sight I've ever seen, to sweetest sound I've heard. I'd gladly give up everything for all the money that I've earned! Cha-ching. Cha-ching. Cha-chingaring. There's nothing on Earth like the feeling of greed. There's nothing on Earth like the feeling of greed!'

Mr. Krabs fell backward and the three of us caught him.

"Please don't do that again," Squidward told him.

Three men in suits walked in and the tallest one was telling the other two about redesigning the place. Who were these people? Mr. Krabs confronted them and it turns out they were part of the Blandy Franchising company. I've heard of it before. They've bought every small family-owned business in Bikini Bottom and made it their own. Howard Blandy himself asked Mr. Krabs what it would take to buy the Krusty Krab.

"Buy the Krusty Krab? It's not for sale. You know, I may not make as much as your fancy-schmancy-migger restaurant chain, but it's the blood, sweat, and tears of a hard day's work. It's not about the mon..." one of the men revealed a suitcase full of cash, "Holy sweet mother of pearl! I like the way you think, Blandy. But it's gonna take a lot more than a suitcase of cash to buy the Krusty Krab from me."

"Oh, there's a lot more than that. The rest is over there," Howard pointed to a boat full of suitcases of money.

"Jumpin' King Neptune! Sold! Can I have my money?"

"Just one thing. If you can sign this contract. It just states that you relinquish the Krusty Krab and all propriety ownership thereof. Along with its employees, merchandise, logos, and cash registers."

"Do I still get the money?"

"Of course."

Mr. Krabs signed the contract and left with the suitcases. Contractors and painters came in and started redecorating the Krusty Krab. We walked out to Mr. Krabs who hadn't left just yet and had a chat with him.

"Mr. Krabs, they're putting up pennants in the Krusty Krab. What's going on?" Spongebob asked.

"I'm retiring!" Mr. Krabs told him.

"Retiring?"

"I'm free to do whatever I want. I can learn to ride that bike I got thirty years ago. Or go to the new hook museum downtown. Or even paint bowls of fruit. Aren't you happy for me?"

"I sure am."

"So long, boys, lass."

"Have fun, Mr. Krabs," Spongebob started to cry.

"Heaven knows I won't," Squidward said.

Mr. Krabs left and a rather jolly fish walked up to us, "hi, gentlemen, I'm Carl. I'll be your new manager."

"New manager?" Spongebob asked.

"I think you'll find working at the Krabby O'Monday's to be both a learning experience and an enjoyable one," Carl told us.

"Krabby O'Monday's?" I questioned.

"You won't be needing these anymore," Carl took our hats and gave us new uniforms, "now, here are your new uniforms, and here are the..." he handed us four giant heavy books, "employee manuals. See ya first thing tomorrow."