Chapter 42

Aria

"Isn't she pretty?"

Pareho kaming nakatingin ni Samantha sa bintana habang nakikita namin ang pagdating ng mga bisita nito.

We're in their library, right facing the garden kung saan ihe-held ang birthday party nito.

"Who?" Pasimpleng sinulyapan ko muli ang pigurang iyon ni Corinne. Wondering why she's wearing pink. Her favorite color. Samantalang ang motif ng event ay black tuxedo para sa mga lalaki at red dress para sa mga babae.

"Corinne." Sam answered na nakatingin pa din sa direksyon nila Corinne at Terry habang iginigiya ito ng usher sa table ng mga ito.

"Indeed she is." Tulalang pagsang ayon ko.

"I like her, Aria."

Napadako ang tingin ko kay Sam na kumuha ng dalawang baso at sinalinan iyon ng whiskey.

"Everybody likes her. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't." kinuha ko sa kanya yung isang baso.

We clink our glasses for a toast.

"Does everybody wants to grow old with her?" Kaswal na tanong ni Sam at saka naupo sa couch na paharap sa garden. From there, she could get a full view of Corinne and Terry as they dig on their meals.

"I want her Aria." She repeated. With all the gracefulness, she glance my way. "Would you give her up for me?"

Napadiin ang hawak ko sa baso. Kung yung normal na wine glass iyon ay baka nabasag na iyon sa paraan ng pagkakahawak ko.

"She's mine, Sam. Back off." Mahina pero punung-puno ng banta na sagot ko sa sinabi nya.

Sam may be my friend. But with Corinne, I'm willing to cut ties with Sam if that will be the cost.

"I never like anyone this intense, Aria. Just this one. I want her."

"You want things that suits your unique taste, Sam. Corinne is just a breather for you because she's different. You don't like her in a romantic way. She's mine!"

"Calm down, Aria." She says in a casual tone. "Why don't you sit beside me?" Bahagya pa nitong tinapik yung bakanteng side ng couch.

"C'mon!" She encourage harder.

For the sake of our friendship, umupo ako sa tabi nya. Ngayon dalawa na kaming nakamasid kay Corinne.

"What makes you like her?" Hindi ko maiwasang itanong. I don't see any reason why Sam would want Corinne. Don't get me wrong, I know Sam too well. She's not the type who'll fall easily for complexity.

"You asked me to save her, didn't you?"

Is that her only reason?

"Do you feel the urge to bed her?" Straightforward na tanong ko. There's no reasons for us to hit around the bush. Sam is as straightforward as I.

Nakahinga lang ako ng maluwag nang umiling si Samantha.

"She's just so fascinating that I want to keep her. I've spent longer time with her than you two did. It's enough reason for me to be attached to her."

"Attachment isn't love, Sam. I love her while you're just fascinated with her."

Tumawa ng pagak si Sam.

"I'll do everything for her, Aria. Can you do the same?"

That caught me off guard. Is she willing to sacrifice everything just for the sake of her fascination? I wonder too.

"I'm doing everything for her too, Sam. In my own way. Sa paraang alam ko na kaya ko syang protektahan."

"Claiming love isn't love, Aria. I'm fascinated with her. And you're just as fascinated as me."