The Thing (2011): Reborn

A/N: For this chapter, it's time to fix up one of the most screwed up prequels of horror movie history.

The Thing (1982) movie was awesome. It was one of the greatest horror movies of all time and some say it even rivals the likes of Alien (1979) and The Shining (1980). It was a movie that showed themes of paranoia, fear and isolation instead of the usual horror cliche where a group of whoever must band up against someone or something that tries to kill them. Instead, they all turn on each other with uncertainty of who is who and become paranoid as well as fearing if they are the last human while everyone else is not what they seem.

Unfortunately, the movie flopped due to competition with ET and it was believed that it would forever be forgotten. However, due to the Television views and Home Video releases, it gained a cult following and soon became a top horror movie classic. And the movie was so beloved, some filmmakers decided to bring it back into theaters with a new installment.

Made as homage to the first film, the Director intended to make it just as successful as the last one critically and give birth to a story of where the Thing came from and how it arrived to the US researcher camp we all knew in the original film

Made as homage to the first film, the Director intended to make it just as successful as the last one critically and give birth to a story of where the Thing came from and how it arrived to the US researcher camp we all knew in the original film. With a camp of Norwegians that were the ones who found the spacecraft and the alien frozen in a block of ice, as well as an American scientist (for some reason since they appeared to already have a scientist meant for digging).

After it released in theaters, it immediately flopped just like it's predecessor. Only difference is, the prequel did not gain a cult following and never became as memorable as the original film. (It's a little obvious for that part since sequels almost never become better than the first films). But why is that? Why did it suck? Why did it fail?

Well you might not know, but I will do the best I can to reveal how it went wrong by fixing every detail necessary in the movie to create what could've been a better installment for the Thing.

Reborn:
The movie begins as it did in the original. Lars,  Peder, and Olav go out in the middle of nowhere in Antarctica, find the source of the anomaly they're looking for, and crash underneath the surface ice while stopping between two icy walls where they can see the massive UFO underneath. (How they got out of there alive in the first place, I have no idea).

(Here is where things are different) American Paleontologist, Kate is visited by an old friend of hers, Adam Finch. Who introduces her to Dr. Sander Halvorson, the man who needs her help for investigating a newly discovered site in Antarctica containing a massive underground structure. Kate wants to know what it is exactly so she can figure how to dig it out, but he says it's classified and she'll only find out ounce she gets there. Unlike in the original movie, she respectfully rejects the offer if she can't be trusted from the doctor and possibly giving her a waste of time in her job. That is, until Adam managed to convince her to come as she'll get millions from her involvement in helping unearth their discovery. She wants to know how that is the case from just a simple dig, but he explains that it's something extraordinary in which could change the world forever. That is when she reluctantly agrees to join their expedition.