Chapter 9

As Selene and Geralt left the inn they could both feel a pair of eyes on them so they simply stopped walking as two men came to stand in front of them. "What do you two want?" The one man narrowed his eyes and spat in the direction of Selene which only disgusted her, yet angered Geralt. "We want ya gone, your kind isn't welcome here."

   Selene rolled her eyes at this yet kept her calm. "Unfortunately for you and your friend, I really don't care. I can also assure you the man next to me doesn't care either." The one man stepped forward but stopped the second Geralt moved so he was in front of Selene. "Don't even think about it."

    The one who hadn't moved yet gulped and slowly backed away, he didn't want to get caught up in a fight against two Witcher's. "Besides both the woman behind me and myself are on business, and if you're lucky, we'll get rid of your griffin problem." Selene looked at Geralt and narrowed her eyes. She had already intended to kill the fucker, but first she wanted answers about her homes missing books. If anyone knew anything that is.

    "Are we supposed to care?" This time Selene stepped out from behind Geralt. "If you don't want anyone else dying from the Griffin you'll stand aside." The one man shot her a dirty look as she spoke. With a sigh Selene simply shook her head before she used axii. "You and you're friend will leave, you don't want to cause anymore trouble."

   The second she finished what she was doing did a white glow appear around the man's head. "Yes, ya right, we will leave." And with that two walked away and Selene sighed. "Not at all what we needed right now." Geralt nodded in agreement. "Come on Sel, lets go see what Bram might know."

    With a nod the two started walking once again. It wasn't long until Selene heard a familiar voice. "Lady Witcher! Over here!" Selene looked over and Geralt raised an eyebrow at Selene. "Him?" "Yeah him." Selene quickly walked over to where Bram was and gave a soft smile. "I'm glad you were able to save some of your goods."

    "As am I, as am I. But I believe you had questions?" "I do, but first allow me to introduce Geralt of Rivia." Bram looked over and nodded his head respectfully. "Master Witcher. Now before we start I want you both to know I'm willing to give you my goods half free." Selene raised an eyebrow but said nothing as she carefully chose her next set of words.

    "I'm looking for something, something very important to me." "Alright, how can I be of assistance?" "I'm looking for books, very old books. They tell me about my hometown." Bram blinked before looking confused. "How old are you talking?" Selene looked at Geralt and he nodded taking over.

    "Roughly a little over two centuries give or take. Those books were stolen from her hometown's Ruins, and if anyone had the right to take them it was Selene." Bram's eyes widened with horror. "So someone basically desecrated a mass grave." Geralt nodded. "So we were wondering since you travel, is there anyway you possibly saw something?"

    Bram frowned before he walked over to a bag, the bag was old and faded, it had obviously seen better days. "I don't know if this is what you look for Selene but perhaps you will be able to tell." Selene raised an eyebrow but took the bag carefully, almost afraid that it would rip the second she opened it.

    The second the bag was open, Selene could smell the musk, the aging of the book before she even saw it. Slowly, carefully she pulled out the book and her eyes widened. "Where....where did you get this Bram?" Bram blinked "you knows the book?"

     "Yes, I know this book, it's one of my hometowns books. But how did you get it?" Bram blinked before he frowned. "Bout three years ago, a woman came up to me and told me she was giving away her possessions and that was one of them. I tried to ask her for a name but she didn't give one." Selene frowned and Geralt placed a hand on her shoulder.

    "I'm terribly sorry, but I didn't get a name, I didn't even know why she was giving away such an item but I took it and immediately put it away in that bag with the intention to never sell it." Selene was silent as she waited for him to continue. "What happened next?" "Bout a week later I was nearing a town and saw her dead in her house, townsfolk said she died from the pox."

    Selene winced and Geralt frowned. "Thank you Bram." Selene carefully took the bag back from Geralt and put it away before she went to hand it back to Bram who shook his head. "No, it's yours by right. Besides if it stays with me I'm afraid it'll get ruined." Selene nodded and handed the bag to Geralt before she pulled out a pouch of coin and placed it in Bram's outstretched hand. "1,000 coin, one to replace that wagon of yours, and two....for returning something that means so much to me." Bram went to protest but the look Selene gave him easily cut him off.

    "Thank you Lady Witcher, Safe travels." The Two nodded before walking away only for Bram to speak once more. "The town was called Lurtch by the way! Perhaps you can get more answers there!" Selene looked back and smiled before she allowed Geralt to lead her away.