Deal

Nine

I showed Joong a disgruntled face, while rubbing my cheek that he kissed, and sneaked in a wet lick. He did that purposely, to distract me a bit so that he could escape to the car. I couldn't believe he'd gotten his way around, by using my own words against me. But, I did ask, and he did answer, honestly.

I should be used to this sneaky side of him. Back then, he would utter every silly excuse, just to stay at my dorm, or came to my house. My mom pampered him more than me, cause that baby kept telling her, every time I did something that caused him to sulk. Although I whined, actually his sulking never was a burden to me. Sometimes, I provoked him purposely until he sulked, because I missed cooing him back to a smile. I was crazy that way.

I didn't want to go back upstairs. Since he came, I felt restless every time I was alone in my room. So, I chose to help in the kitchen, washing the never-ending dishes that had already piled up from the afternoon rush hour. The café main offerings were coffees, drinks, desserts and light meals. But in the weekends, special menu would be introduced every week, so people crowded this place to have a taste and updated their social media. It was hectic.

"Nai...". I heard P'Mook calling for me after an hour, and turned my head.

"Yes, P' ?".

"Leave that first, there's someone asking for you, looked expensive too. Are you in any case has a secret rich relative that you forgot to mention?".

"P', your drama obsession is getting worse lately. By the way, rich relative is too cliché", I said to P'Mook and smiled.

But just as soon, my smile faded.

************

"Didn't I say I'll call back? How do you find me?", I asked the person in front of me coldly.

We decided to meet at another café quite a distant away. I didn't want a chance meeting with anybody that knew me.

"I have my people, everywhere in Thailand. This is how the business work. All you need is money and everything gets done, you must know this too, right?".

"I'd already abided by the terms, so what more do you want?".

A bundle of pictures was scattered in front of me.

"Abide to what terms? If so, why is Joong here?".

"He found me, not the other way around".

"Then forced him away... again".

"I got no choice back then, he needed to be protected. But now, he's his own person, strong enough to face anything, I don't need to shield him anymore".

"So, you're ready to drag him down? He will lose everything and need to claw his way back up".

"Don't you have any conscience at all? He has worked his ass off for you!".

"Conscience? I run a business, not a charity house. Money ruled then, rules now too. You signed a legal document".

"I was young. You knew my affection for Joong would make me do it, so you used that against me. But, the damage had been done, and I couldn't fight back what was already lost. Just so you know, I regretted nothing, doing this for him, but I despise you for forcing that to happen".

"You are right, I did manipulate the situation, cornered you to a wall, but the choice was still yours, and you chose to do it, remember? So, don't waste your time preaching to me about what's good or bad, this is a fake industry anyway".

"It becomes fake because of people liked you!".

"If you regretted nothing, why so bitter then? Wasn't our deal end up good? Looked at how high he stands now. So, better keep your end of the deal; or else runs to hug the boy later when he cries for the damage you've done. Don't say I didn't warn you", he stood up and left.

My eyes started to feel blurry, but I forced back the tears to not fall.

Running away, no matter how many times, was easy when nobody was stopping you.

But leaving someone again....I couldn't kill the same heart twice.