Light

Nine

I looked at the window. The rain tainted the glass, creating blotting patterns. Beautiful, yet temporary.

The clock on my desk strike eight.

I needed to focus in doing my tasks, even when someone who was up there, tugged at my mind for some moments. So, I skipped lunch to avoid having another meeting with Joong. It's funny, doing that, when tonight he'd still be there within my space.

I won't let him sleep on the sofa for another night. It's useless and caused me to lose sleep as well. Locking the door would be useless too. That puppy would sleep in front of it even if I locked him out. I was too sure of that. He didn't want to go anywhere else.

The truth was, not that I didn't want him to be near, but I didn't know how to react when he was around. I felt split in the middle, of wanting to cling to him liked a baby and wanted to keep punching until all my frustration was burnt off. But, that would reduce me to the ten years old I accused him to be. So, no to both extremes. That left me acting stoic, almost cold on the surface when actually my heartbeats equal to those who ran a mile.

The sound of my grumbling stomach awakened me from my busy thoughts.

I shut the computer off, and went to the kitchen. A kitchen staff greeted me and pointed to the food on the table that was prepared and kept for me since I didn't come out for lunch. I thanked him and sat, ready to eat.

P'Mook came into the kitchen and was surprised to see me there.

"You skipped lunch again, didn't you? Nai, don't push my nosy button and make me check up on you every meal time now too.."

"Sorry P', I was in the office the whole day. Some emails with the produce suppliers and reporting to headquarters. It's the end of month, so you know, the crazy week".

"Oh, I thought you are not in".

"Really? Why?".

"Joong said something about going out to buy clothes and asked the place. My mistake, I assumed you went together".

Damn! Damn! He asked this morning but didn't stay to listen to my answer. After that, the topic was forgotten.

"Where?"

"The night market... Nai, where are you going, your food!".

The voice of P'Mook lost in my ears. Oiit, that big baby must be sulking again after this. And that night market was crowded and almost felt liked a maze for people who was not familiar with the nook and cranny.

I drove my car to the night marketplace. The lines of cars were already long, the rain didn't deter people from coming to buy everything from stones to livestock here. I parked and looked at the crowd of people. Where to find this guy in this sea of people. 

I took my phone and hesitated a bit. I didn't have his number. Is it still the same, the one that I remember? Will it work? If not, I'll ask P'Mook for the new one, but will he answer an unknown number? Stars won't do that obviously. 

I just pushed my hesitation aside and tried to call. My call was transferred to a voicemail. [Hello, this is Joong Archen, please leave a message if you can't reach me]. The voicemail was expected, but the same number still work after all these years, that was surprising. "Joong, it's me. Call back, please". I didn't say my name, but I was sure, he'd recognize it readily.

I looked again at the vast market in front of me. Now, where to start?.

Joong

My mood was gloomy. I felt irritated at someone, but mostly at myself.

What did I expect? That he would just leave everything and come with me?

That was way back then Joong, when your pout moved his heart. Now your sulking only earned a stone-cold face.

I thought his work finished at 5, I waited the whole day without disturbing him once.

I waited until six, and then seven. And I gave up.

He really avoided going with me. I accepted that. But I was still bitter.

Not enough time going to the store. In a small city, store closed at 8, and the nearest department store according to P'Mook was 30 minutes away. So, that left me the night marketplace to go to.

After arriving by taxi, I shut off the phone. Though I didn't think he would call, still my current mood made me feel like doing that somehow. Okay Nine, yes, I acted like a spoil kid and I don't care!.

Wow, the place is so vast! Will I find my way out once in? But, I need clothes now.

And looked how I was right now, wearing a duck shirt with an inch too short pants getting drenched from the ongoing rain. This was what a parody scene for a hero looked like. Made me feel liked I was in a live comedy show.

You were in too much drama that you expected things would go smoothly as the scenes do after editing. Stupid, fool!. This was a real world Joong!, I berated myself for doing such a foolish thing, just liked P'Mhee said. 

Some people did look twice, they must had thought that I looked familiar, but then again, dismissed themselves when looking at the crazy outfit that I wore, that I was just a lookalike of "that" popular actor. The rain also kept my disguise safe, as people were more concern of making their purchases fast and be out of the rain.

Buying the clothes part was easy, but I was already going around for almost an hour looking for the way out. I stopped and asked, people would say this way but then I was lost again at another turn. This is crazy! I felt too tired. My left shoulder was numb from the rain and cold. My body was shivering and my feet were dragging to take another step.

I took a minute rest inside one of the tents and switched on my phone again. Let just try and use a location search to find my way out now, hopefully.

A voice message's icon popped up. I listened and looked up. My heart bloomed.

"Nai....", I called the number that I just saved.

"Where are you?!".

"Turn around".

Nine frantically turned and saw me a distant away.

I smiled, for a light finally shined amidst the rain.

So beautiful.