18

Joong

I went downstairs and headed to the kitchen.

"Morning Joong..".

I was surprised to see P'Mook already there and was drinking coffee.

"Morning P'! You are early".

"Yes. I usually come here an hour early to sort things out before starting work. Need my morning coffee too. Nice shirt you got there", P'Mook was saying this while trying to keep her face straight, but failed and laugh anyway.

The T-Shirt that fit me was only Nine's baggy sleep shirt. It was white but printed with many small duck designs. Cute for him, but with my stature and height, it looked quite funny, coupled with a jogger pants that only reach above my ankles.

"Look good on me, right?".

"Where'd your bags gone?"

"Somewhere in Bangkok".

"Noooo, you didn't!". I just gave P'Mook a smirk that said Yes, I did!

"Was the elephant part of your scheme too?", P'Mook asked in disbelief.

"As sneaky as I wanted to be, no, it wasn't. But, it gave me a little advantage it seemed. Else, Nine won't even gave me this much attention so early".

"If so, why are you down here then? Being kicked out already?".

"No." I said and didn't add anything more.

"Hmm, already bickering so early in the morning. Tsk, tsk, nothing changed, I guess. Come here and sit. I'll make toasts for you"

I sat while P'Mook prepare the toast and put a cup of coffee in front of me.

"I didn't manage to thank you last night. Thanks a lot, P'. It must be hard on you to keep everything from Nine. How's your headache? Better?".

"Don't worry nong, the headache was somewhat a good excuse from facing Nine's scary eyes looking at P', uyyy.. shiver, even when just remembering it".

I laughed a little, "He could do that to you right? Even with that small body, when he's mad, he's too scary".

"Ehemmm, morning P'", the sudden greeting froze my laugh.

Nine

P'Mook was smiling and looking at Joong and me.

"P' already finished breakfast. Nai, your porridge is on the stove, P' already reheated it for you. It's from grandma, she knew your sore throat not yet gone and forbid you to eat anything oily. There's a lot, enough to be eaten until lunch".

"Hmm, you know my weakness is grandma's cooking. This is not fair, P', you are using this to not fight with me, don't you?".

"Don't waste your time on me dear, you got Joong now and it seemed you already kicked him out so early in the morning".

"I didn't..... ", I tried to say but P'Mook just dismissed it with her hand.

"Erkkk, lover's quarrel, P' is out", and P'Mook just eased herself out from the kitchen.

Joong remained silent and just focused on eating his toasts.

I took a bowl and scooped in the porridge that P'Mook brought.

I walked to the table, sat in front of Joong and pushed the bowl towards him.

Joong stopped eating and looked at me.

"Eat this some more, the toast alone won't be enough for you. You need to heal too, eat something nutritious".

Joong put down the toast that was halfway eaten and stared at me.

"Sometimes, I wanted to know what is inside your mind Nai. In the span of one night, the emotions that you evoked in me were too many, that I didn't know what I should feel at times. The change is too fast".

"And what are you feeling now?".

"Sulky, but also, wanted to cross this table and hug you tight. Give me a break, will you? Take less care of me, and care for yourself first".

"I wanted to, but that will only make me think about you more".

"Why?"

"I don't know Joong. I just couldn't stop it when it's you".

There. I said it. I didn't know why. My logic went south this moment. My heart was doing all the talk.

Joong just smiled. And continued eating his toast.

"You are forgiven", he suddenly said.

"What was my fault again?", I was dumbfounded.

"Causing me to sulk early in the morning".

"You just proved my point Joong".

"What point?".

"Since you refused to be 10, then I'll give what you can accept, you acted like you're still 18!".

"But you liked me at 18, so I don't mind".

I was speechless. Joong stood up after he said that and headed to the stove.

"Don't move too much. You are not wearing your sling yet", I nagged.

"You must be tired, thinking about me all night, so here, eat up. The porridge is getting cold".

I looked at the bowl of porridge, and the man in front of me.

I was glad he couldn't read my mind. Because if he could, he would know...

No, I didn't like him at 18.

I loved him at 18.

But the past remained as that, a past.