31. WE COULD BE GOOD FRIENDS

I can tell you that Mr Miller is an expert barbecue chef, as I had earlier suspected. All the food he grilled was supremely delicious, to the point of rivaling any BBQ restaurant I'd ever been in. Of course, that was in California which isn't known for award winning BBQ the way Texas is.

As we were sitting around the outside dining table, stuffing ourselves with juicy, delicious, Applewood smoked, fall-of-the-bone ribs, and brisket, conversations began to sprout up around the table.

Dad started off complimenting the Millers for the fine meal they served and for their hospitality. Conversations then moved from topic to topic. Joyous laughter often erupted, and I began to realize our family was definitely going to be spending a lot more time with the Miller's.

Occasionally I would glance across the table at Jeremy, and everytime he would quickly divert his eyes away. He obviously couldn't keep his eyes off me. While this interest from a guy did still freak me out a little, his interest also gave me validation and did wonders for my growing confidence.

I was flattered that he found me to be an attractive girl, but it also made me uneasy to have so much of his silent focus on me. It would be better if he would just try to have a conversation with me. I'm still not interested in a guy the way he's obviously interested in me, but I'm an easy person to talk to and get along with. He really doesn't have anything to fear, we could be close friends, but the silent staring, it's a little unnerving.

At one point in the conversation between Mr. Miller and my dad, I heard, Dad comment, "We've been here four days now and we still haven't met the neighbors on the other side of us. The ones to our right, opposite the Harpers. I've seen lights on inside at night and a vehicle or two in the driveway during the day, but I haven't seen anyone yet."

Mr. Miller raised his brow, then informed us (more like warned us), "The Amato's are away on vacation, visiting family in Italy. Actually, it's just the mother and father and their youngest daughter who are away, from what I can tell."

All the adults had delicious, refreshing looking Mojitos in front of them that Mrs. Miller had made. The kids, we had kool-aid and sweet tea. I kept eyeing the Mojitos everytime an adult took a sip. I wanted to taste one really bad. I guess my focus was on that drink the same way Jeremy's focus was on me.

Mr. Miller took a sip of his Mojito and dad asked, "So there's more that live there?"

"Yes, they also have two older children, a daughter in her early 20's and a son who graduated from high school this past year. The parents seem to keep to themselves, but the kids, they have been hellcats ever since the family moved in. Lots of loud music, strange friends coming and going, things like that. There was period of a couple weeks last winter, when several cars in the surrounding neighborhood were broken in to, mine included. Well, both my wife's and mine. They never figured out who it was, but I suspect it was one of those two, or both of them, or at least one of their delinquent friends that hang out over there."

Mrs. Miller gave him a look that conveyed an entire conversation with just her eyes and he changed his tune, adding, "Of course, I could be completely wrong about the situation and they didn't have anything to do with it. I don't know them that well and this is all speculation, take it with a grain of salt."

I could tell by the conversation that Mr. Miller didn't invite the Amato's over for backyard barbecue pool partirs like he had us.

Mr. Miller's warning, however, didn't keep me from feeling curious about the older children. Not sure whether to be excited or concerned about them, I figured that our neighbors couldn't be that bad and I looked forward to possibly meeting them, too.

After we finished the meal, we all continued to sit around the table while the adults talked. Their conversations flowed like they had been friends for years. There was no awkward small talk like you would expect from people who had just met.

At one point I saw Lisa look over at her brother and he pointed toward the pool with his head then quickly stole a glance over at me. He realized I was already looking at him and he immediately diverted his gaze and and hid his face, which was now red with embarrassment, by turning up his drinking glass and taking big gulps of tea.

Lisa stood up and suggested we go swimming again.

Her mom overheard her and said, "Wait. Not yet. We got pecan pie, ice cream, and delicious looking key lime bars that Amelia brought. Lisa, Carla, why don't you two come along and help me with the deserts?"

Wait, what about Dave and Jeremy? Why don't they have to help? So you're implying we have to just because we're 'girls'? I thought while begrudgingly rising from my seat. That's not fair.

No sooner than I had these thoughts, Mrs. Miller turned around and asked Jeremy and Dave to please clear all the plates, bowls, glasses, and everything else from the table and stack them in the sink.

Nevermind, I'll gladly help bring the deserts out.

A few minutes later we were all back around the table, enjoying more delicious food. Mrs. Miller had also brought out can colas for us kids and bottles of Soju with shot glasses for the adults.

"What's this," my dad quickly inquired when he was handed a bottle with writing on the label in a foreign language.

"It's Soju," Mrs. Miller explained. "A Korean liquor, it's most like vodka, but with a less harsh aftertaste. We discovered it when Robert was in the Army and we were stationed in South Korea for three years."

Dad took a sip and made a face that went from; 'that's strange,' to 'I think I like it,' and the Millers has a little laugh.

Us kids quickly scarfed down our desserts and headed back to the pool while the adults sat around slowly savoring their dessert and enjoying Soju shots. They talked and laughed and drank for quite a while before my Dad finally stood up and called for Dave and I to gather our things and say our goodbye.

A look of disappointment spread across Jeremy's face. I know he wants to get to know me better, and I srill think he and I could be friends, but he still never got up the nerve to try to have a conversation with me.

Of course my idea of our friendship is obviously way different from what he has in mind, so maybe it's better for me that he didn't try?

We thanked the Millers again for their hospitality and promised to have them over at our house for the next barbecue/pool party. On the way out, Lisa and I exchanged big hugs and she made plans for us to get together again, soon.