37. A SMALL WHITE ENVELOPE

Once The bikes were staged, Dad began taking photos of each one. He took long shots of the bikes and closeups of the engines and other various parts. He said the pictures had to be eye catching in order to maximize the amount we could ask for them. He explained how poor quality photos at the wrong angle, with sub-optimal lighting, and a bad background will cause people to think less of the bikes and in turn not want to pay as much for them.

At one point Dave leaned towards me to suggest I put on my red bathing suit, and pose with each bike.

"Cause guys will pay more when there's an attractive girl in the photo. It's marketing 101," he joked aloud.

Lucky for me, Dad didn't hear him mention the red bathing suit.

In response I pulled my arm back and landed a solid punch into his lower ribs.

"Shut up," I grunted at him through gritted teeth.

Dave grabbed his side as he bent forward, apparently in pain, but he still burst into laughter.

"You could do it topless," he added.

"Do what there, Dave," Dad asked, not really hearing what Dave had said exactly.

Dave then demonstrated why I've always looked up to him. Instead of telling Dad the truth of what he had just said to me, he instead replied with, "I - I was just explaining to Carla, an idea for one of the photos. What if we turn the bikes at opposite angles like this and . . ."

Dave hopped over on one foot and began to point out his idea. Dad agreed with him and repositioned the bikes before taking a few more shots.

Once Dad was satisfied with the photos we had taken and we began putting the motorcycles away, I asked him about Mom saying they were going back to L.A. for the weekend.

"Dad, Mom said something about you guys taking care of loose ends. So, what's this paperwork about?"

He looked at me with an expression in his eyes that said he was suprised I had already heard about it.

He nervously smiled, and replied, "Well um, your Mom, I uh mean. We . . . were going to s-surprise you when it was done and we got the reply back in the mail, but, um, long story short, we've got to enroll you guys in school in the next few weeks, so we're going to file paperwork to get your new name and identity in legal order and have your old school adjust your records before they send them, so you won't have any problems at your new school."

I was stunned. I couldn't believe they were actually going to do this for me and so quickly too.

Then a thought occurred, "Dad? Doesn't that require a recommendation from a doctor before they'll approve it? How are you going to do that without me going to one?"

I knew it wouldn't be able to happen this week. They hadn't thought of this?

"Well, your Mom took care of that already. She called the family doctor back in California and asked her if she would write up a recommendation for you. Having known you from birth and everything about you she immediately agreed. We're picking that up first thing Thursday morning, before going to the courthouse. "

What? Oh my gawd, this really happening.

Unable to find the words to express to Dad just how much this meant to me, I slowly walked over and gave him a tight, warm hug.

After several moments, while still holding him, all I could say was, "Thanks, Dad."

I couldn't be sure, but I think Dad was really starting to warm up to the idea of having a daughter.

I still couldn't believe it was all happening so fast, but by Wednesday afternoon Dad had successfully sold both of our bikes, wrapping up the last bit right before leaving for the airport with Mom.

As Dad put their suitcases in the trunk of his car, Mom reminded Dave and I not to stir up any trouble while they were gone, making their point quite effectively,  by using the subtle reminder about our plans to go motorcycle shopping next week.

Saying our good byes, we hugged Mom and Dad on their way out, telling them to have a good trip and not to worry about us.

While I was hugging Mom, she slipped a small, white envelope to me and whispered not to open it until later when I was alone in my room.

As soon as they pulled away, I headed back in the house. I was practically running, excitedly trying to get to my room as quickly as I could.

When I opened the envelope, five one hundred dollar bills and a folded note fell out onto my bed.

Reading the note it said there was plenty of cereal for breakfast and lunch meats and cheeses in the fridge for sandwiches. I was to keep one of the hundreds to order delivery for our dinners. The remaining four hundred dollars, Mom said I could spend while out with Rebecca, if I found some nice things I liked, since our shopping trip was cut short before.

"Oh, and you can get your ears pierced if you want. I'm okay with it if you even want two holes in each ear, or even a cartilage piercing, but no nose piercings. Don't worry about your father, he'll get used to it," mom wrote.

$500? Dad must have got one heck of a raise to move to Dallas, I thought to myself.

I couldn't argue that moving here hasn't had it's good points. I guess my grandma was right when she used to say, everything happens for a reason.

Thanks Mom.