Chapter 34

Emma let out a low hum as the soft winter light began to bleed through the castle window stirring her from her sleep.

There was a soft chuckle from beside her. "Morning, darling."

She couldn't stop herself from smiling as she tightened her grip around her wife's waist pulling her closer. "Good morning," she murmured sleepily, pressing a sweet kiss to her cheek.

Upon returning to the castle, not wanting to wait a second more, they were married within two days. For the past two weeks they've been blissfully trapped in each other, barely leaving each others sides, always clinging to one another in some way.

Regina tucked her face into the crook of Emma's neck and pressed a sweet kiss under her ear. "How long do you think we have before Sam and Henry come bounding in here?"

Emma chuckled. "I'm surprised they're not in here already."

As if on queue, the door flew open and two small bodies landed on top of them causing the two women to laugh. They moved apart, leaving a gap between them for the twins to settle themselves under the covers with them. Sam curled up in Emma's arms and Regina wrapped her arm around Henry, holding him close.

"Happy birthday, you two," Emma whispered.

The twins let out high pitched giggles. "Is Nanna coming?" Henry asked.

Emma noticed Regina stiffen slightly at the question. To say Cora was angry with the turn of events a few weeks ago would be an understatement. She didn't show up to their wedding and Regina hasn't heard any response from her since.

In a way, Emma knew she didn't care much. Since her father had died two years ago, she hadn't felt the same need to stick around and had been growing farther away from her mother. Cora was there for the twins, but now that it is public knowledge that their other biological parent was Emma, Regina wasn't sure whether Cora would want anything more to do with them.

"I don't think so, sweetheart," she mumbled.

With one arm wrapped around Samantha, Emma reached out with her free hand and entwined her fingers with Regina's, giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

"Why not?" Henry asked.

Regina hesitated, unable to figure out how to respond to the boy's innocent question.

"Your Nanna doesn't like me that much, honey," Emma told him honestly. She felt there was no sense in trying to lie to them about it.

Henry raised an eyebrow. "How come? You're the best. She liked Robin and he was mean?"

He proposed a good point. To him, there seemed to be no reason as to why Cora didn't like Emma, and at least six why she shouldn't have liked Robin. The answer was unknown.

Regina pressed a sweet kiss to the side of his head. "Nanna didn't like that I fell in love with a girl," she mumbled.

Emma gave her hand a soft squeeze. "Let's not forget my mannerisms, how I dress, act. There are numerous reasons why your mother doesn't like me, baby," she joked. "Making you fall in love with me was just the cherry on top, I think."

Her wife smiled slightly. "I suppose you're right. She hated you for all the reasons why my dad loved you."

Henry's eyes widened. "Papa liked ma?"

Regina chuckled softly. "Yes. Papa adored her. He wanted us to be together so badly," a small smile spread across her face. "He wished for nothing more than for me to fall in love and be happy."

"Now he's got his wish. I'm sure he's very happy," Henry announced.

She watched as a small tear ran down Regina's cheek. "Yeah, I'm sure he is."