Chapter 6 - Connection Streets

It was a cold night and the Golden Gate bridge stretches endlessly on the horizon. A man is strolling a shopping cart and inside it is a preadolescent girl. They strolled endlessly through the night.

"You know dad, this kinda makes me feel like a baby." the girl says.

"I'm sorry if you feel that way, but I don't wanna see my princess' ankles hurt." the man tells her with a smile.

"Plus, you're as short as a fourth grader." he adds.

"Hmph. Well you're wearing a sweater with the Care Bears on it." she talks back.

"I thought you loved the Care Bears." he exclaims.

"Yeah, but not when you're wearing them." the girl says, followed by a cheeky laugh.

They continued strolling until they stumbled across a vending machine.

"We shouldn't be really doing this." the man says.

"You would have been shot down by that officer if it wasn't for me using this." the girl exclaims.

"Yes, I know. And stop calling me dad alright."

"But why? You took care of me since I was small."

"Why do we always have to talk about this? Yes, I did, but I'm not your actual father. I mean, look at our colors. This would only be possible if my wife was white."

"You have a wife???"

"No. Which makes me being a father more impossible."

"Never mind dad, you know I never went to school enough to know that. Besides, I'm doing this for us. My stomach's grumbling."

The girl raises her hands forward and a few strands of her hair rise up with a little green glow. She closed her eyes and opened her palms. The vending machine in front of her then shakes.

"What do you want?"

"Well, since we're already stealing.... we might as well take everything."

The vending machine violently shakes. The two happily indulge themselves on various snacks along with a few drinks and filled their shopping cart with those. They merrily strolled away from the now broken-down vending machine, laughing and giggling along the street lights.

They set up cardboard box pieces in front of a closed and supposedly ran down establishment sitting nearby a telephone booth.

"This will do for the night." the man exclaims.

They then put all their food inside a garbage bag they had. While doing so, the girl notices another homeless man pass by the adjacent street.

"Hey!!!" the girl says waving a snack bar to the homeless person.

That man looked back at them as her father looked shocked and tried to put his hands on her mouth, but immediately put them away as the expression on his face changes to someone that had their heart being lit. The homeless man approached them and grabbed the snack bar from the girls' hands.

The girl's guardian then opened the garbage bag, showing more of what's inside to the other homeless person. The man then waved them goodbye.

"You've got some nice things going on there buddy. Both of you could still make it through in this cruel world." the homeless man tells the girl's guardian.

Now with only the two of them, the moon now seemed to be "more above them" in the perspective of their naked eye. The young girl lights up a few sticks her guardian has been carrying around on his back.