Chapter 24 - Branching Mistakes

Lush trees, exotic wildlife and ten million fireflies lit up the world as some of them fell asleep. There was something in the air that night and the stars were bright.

Richard can't sleep. The flaming bowl is about to run out of gel fuel. Sleeping on a tree while sitting is Casper. His cowboy hat covers his hat while he snores deeply in slumber.

David made himself a tent that will make Bear Grylls proud.

Richard breathes in and out slowly.

He hums his favorite song but immediately remembers that it's the same song that was blasting on the boombox when Lord Henry was annihilating their defensive efforts.

"He didn't have to die. Freddie didn't have to die for me. If I'd never been involved in this mess, they would be fine. They'll be able to save way more psychics that deserve their care."

He sees a pebble on the rock and picks it up. A similar event from the nearby past is reminisced.

"I wish I said no. They told me I can say no. They gave me a choice. It's my fault that I've been involved. No matter what happens, even if I decided to just stay in my house, Lord Henry will eventually find me. But it could have happened without them risking their lives."

He uses his shirt to wipe off a few small tears in his eyes and notices a red stain. He smells it and notices that it's not blood, it's from a tomato.

"I wasn't even injured seriously, that's how much they tried protecting me. They're probably even looking for me now. I wish they'd stop. I'd finish this on my own."

Richard looks at Casper.

"He's definitely that guy." he says while thinking of Revolution Leader Abba's escape during their confrontation.

"I can use them, The Revolution. If I trick them into helping me surrender myself to Lord Henry. Yeah, I can. I can use my powers now."

The translucency of Casper's pants made the various red blinks in his pocket visible to Richard.

"Wha-"

"The other generals sent to the other side of the ocean have returned. Well except for Casper. Casper still hasn't come back from Egypt, Leader Abba." the hypersensitive woman from before tells Abba.

"That only means he's found something, send him a message that he needs to report back immediately. Tell everyone else that an important meeting will commence today. I had inside information that Sarah used her powers again after a long time of staying hidden under the radar. This will be vital in the next steps we will undertake."

"Copy that, Leader Abba."

*Put Your Head On My Shoulder by Paul Anka quietly plays on a car radio*

Charlotte rests her head comfortably on Hirohiko's shoulders while he rests his head on hers.

Yeethelle wasn't on the front this time. She is alone on the side of the van opposite to the couple so she took the entire space for herself and lied down there.

Sitting beside the driver's seat is Kodak. The car isn't flying anymore so Agent Campbell is driving the vehicle normally.

"It would be nice if we're in my cargo plane at this time."

"Then, why aren't we?"

"Its possible that we can be easily tracked by my boss if I managed to make you guys ride it."

"Don't think that you're the good guy now that you're doing all of this."

"I never was the good guy. Every time I try doing something nice, something right or something that can be considered as generally good, I just mess it all up. It all turns sideways and at the end of the story, I'm the guy that caused all the bad problems."