Part 17

Dedicated to cekittycat327 for voting. You're amazing *insert smiley face*

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Chapter 17
DIMITRI

I sat down next to Vasilisa, wrapping a comforting arm around her shoulders. She was crying and I didn't know why. I wasn't used to comforting teenage girls as I had quite a few sisters and they would go to one another for advice, so this was definitely not my area of specialty.

"What's wrong?" I asked softly. I probably sounded like one of those socially awkward teenage boys who never know how to comfort girls.

"What's wrong? What's wrong? You want to know what's wrong Dimitri? What's wrong is that my best friend is being put into house arrest because she did something that was only meant to protect me. What's wrong is that her reputation is even more ruined now because of some stupid rumours that aren't even true. What's wrong is that I'm the last Dragomir in line and because of that, everyone expects me to act all royalty and not make mistakes. I want people to stop treating me like I'm some kind of perfect human being and I want to help my best friend because none of this would have happened if it wasn't for me," she cried.

I was quite shocked at her long speech, every word she spoke seemed to have some kind of meaning behind it that I couldn't quite put together. Maybe what she was saying had something to do with the reason why they left two years ago.

"Is there anything I can do? I am supposed to be your guardian after all and your happiness comes first," I smiled down at her.

"Can I see Rose?" She asked softly. I nodded and got up. I told her to still be there when I came back as I walked towards the Dhampir dorms. I approached the receptionist who was a good friend of mine.

"Steve," I nodded towards him.

"Dimitri," he replied back. It was our way of formally greeting one another. I walked past him towards Rose's dorm room. I knew the room number because I had visited here before. When I reached her door, I couldn't get myself to knock. It felt like my arms were frozen beside me, not wanting to move.
Just knock already.

My subconscious yelled at me. So with that, I raised my hand and gently knocked against the wooden door. There was no response so I tried again. Still no response.

On my third knock, I was about to give up when the door was swung open. There stood Rose, with her head bowed down. As she looked up, I could see that her eyes were all puffed from crying. "Are you okay?" I asked with concern. She nodded but saw tears fall down her beautiful cheeks.

Instinctively, I reached towards her and embraced her into my arms. Images of what had occurred earlier ran through my head.

That night her Highness Queen Tatiana had visited. She had entered through with grace and such elegance. She had the whole room at her complete attention, not only because she was the youngest person ever elected to be queen but also because of the radiance that surrounds her. There was just something about her presence that would get the attention of everyone.

As always, she has been followed by an unnecessary amount of guardians. Most Moroi don't have enough guardians protecting them, mostly because all the guardians were wasted on one person. I know it is quite essential to have a leader, but the amount of guardians that escorted her was just ridiculous. Back at the Court, she even has more guardians. I would know because I had a position there before being offered to move to the Academy.

As the Queen had made her introductory entrance, she also made sure to humiliate Vasilisa and Rose along the way. I understood she was the queen but that did not give her a reason to harass or humiliate those who made mistakes. I had noticed the look that Rose had portrayed before she masked it with a feigned smile.

Later on that night, I had also heard those famous rumours about her going around from student to student.

This must be what's affecting her so much. I never thought she cared about the way people viewed her. As she pulled back, I noticed she was much calmer now.

"So what are you doing here?" She asked softly.

"Vasilisa requests your presence. You have thirty minutes to speak to her before you must come back," I replied. She nodded and stepped out of her dorm room, closing the door behind her.

I lead her through the corridors and twists and turns until we reached the spot where I had found Vasilisa earlier on that night. Rose walked past me and went to seat besides Lissa while I stayed at the bottom step, giving them some privacy. I could hear faint snippets of their conversation but it made no sense to me as I hadn't caught the full thing.

Thirty minutes passed and I knew I had to return Rose back before we both got into a handful of trouble. "We must now go," I quietly shouted towards the girls. They gave their farewells and Rose returned to go back to her dorm room. Before she could leave, I grabbed her arm and stopped her. She turned around and looked at me with a look of confusion. "Will you be okay?" I gazed into her eyes to see any sign of sadness. A variety of emotions were running through her eyes and I couldn't grasp most.

"Yeah I will," Rose replied after a moment of silence. I let go of her arm which had left goosebumps behind and watched as she left.

* * " * * z * * " * * z * * * " * * * z * * " * * z * *

I'm sorry for any mistakes I made. I'm writing this at 1:33 am in the morning. It's been quite hot in the last couple of days here in Australia so I haven't been able to sleep. Anyway, its been a long time since I uploaded and I'm very sorry for that. I had writers block. Even though this chapter was already planned, I still had trouble writing it. Well I'm going off to bed now. Vote, comment, follow and good night/ morning.

~ Bertha 99 ~