Chapter 25: Bad Moon Rising

"Where'd you get that top?" Damon asks as they wait for Ric in the boarding house living room with Elena and Stefan

"Katherine and I went shopping in Jamestown last night," Ryan replies. "Like it?"

Damon eyes her before he smirks. "Very much."

Before anyone can comment on Ryan's friendship with Katherine or her new shirt, Alaric enters the house. Ryan smiles.

"Dad!" Ryan cheers. "How's Caroline?"

"Good, missing the sun," Ric replies.

"Thanks for coming, Ric," Damon says. "Can I get you something to drink? Coffee, bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?"

"Elena mentioned you needed my help," Alaric states, getting straight to the point - which is something Ryan likes about him.

"Yeah, we were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family," Stefan replies.

"Now, why would I know anything about the Lockwood's?" Alaric asks.

"You wouldn't, dad," Ryan says and he looks at her. "But mom might."

"Isobel's research from when you were guys at Duke together," Elena adds, she smiles when Ryan calls her mom.

"You said that she spent years researching this town," Stefan says.

"Isobel's research here in Mystic Falls rooted in folklores and legends, but at the time I thought much of which was fiction," Alaric says.

"Like thst amazing vampire story," Damon muses as he sits beside Ryan on the couch and puts his arm behind her.

"Aside from vampires, what else?" Ryan asks.

"The lycanthrope," Alaric replies.

"Wait, like werewolves?" Elena asks.

"No way," Damon says quickly, "impossible, way too Lon Chaney."

"Is it?" Ryan asks him.

"I've been on this planet for one hundred and sixty some odd years, never came across one," Damon says to her and the others. "If werewolves exist, where are they?"

"Why do you suspect the Lockwood's?" Alaric asks.

"Because vervain didn't affect the mayor at Founders' Cay but the Gilbert device did," Damon says. He glances at Ryan and back before continuing, "and it affected his son, Tyler."