Chapter 26

Obiwans POV:

I was proud of Calypso for choosing the Jedi order. I couldn't speak to Anakins character but he seems to have his own agenda all the time. He was just a boy and still had a lot of room to grow and I hope he will, without Calypso's help.

I felt like a hypocrite however. While Calypso was making the smartest decision for herself by controlling her emotions, I find my feelings for Satine only continuing to grow.

She was a magnificent woman, full of passion and drive. More stubborn than anyone I'd met and far more intelligent. She constantly stumped me with thought provoking questions, often teaching me something about myself I'd never noticed before.

We have been in Mandalore for four and a half months but there has been no activity regarding the insurgents, only whispers periodically.

Tomorrow, Satine was hosting a small dinner with some offworld political peers, friends and her own council staff. Satine had asked me to be her companion for the night and I had readily agreed, for the sake of being undercover of course.

I heard from Satine that the queen of Lestrad was one of the guests coming and although it seems too perfect to be coincidence, I was excited Calypso would get to see her family.

I send a hologram to Qui-Gon, questioning the state of Lestrad and if it was safe for the queen to depart. He had said that the alleged Separatist invasion of Lestrad did not appear to be legitimate but that he was leaving Lestrads palace fortified and well protected until their return.

I say nothing more and end the hologram but I did wonder who had wanted Qui-Gon in Lestrad and for what purpose. Or if it truly had just been a coincidence. It seemed there were too many coincidences for there not to be an underlying plan and I decide for Satines safety to make her aware of my thoughts.

I arrive to her room and immediately tell her my fears. To my surprise she merely smiles. "My dear Obiwan," she says and cups my face with her hand. "Calypso and I had a talk, weeks ago, about who she is. Who she really is. Calypso deserves to see her family and so I invited them."

My stomach tightens at her words. But she continues, "I understand why you didn't want to tell me. I admit I was hurt to hear that Qui-Gon had successfully balanced a family and being a Jedi. I had wondered why we couldn't attempt the same thing..." she trails off and I see the sadness behind her eyes and she takes her hand off my face.

"But," she clears her throat and says, "I realize you are not Qui-Gon. You are a all or nothing man and that is why I lo.. care for you so." Her unfinished words not lost on me, "You knew that to choose me you would lose the order and for me to chose you, would jeopardize rebuilding my planet. Everything worked out precisely how it should've." She says but there's no conviction behind her words.

I simply nod and wish I could say how I feel, but I don't. Because the pain of my silence is far better than the destruction the truth would cause. I bow and turn to leave but Satine reaches for my hand. I take hers and she pulls me to her couch. We both sit down, still holding hands, when she stares into my eyes and I know exactly what she's going to say.

"Obiwan.." she starts to say but I don't let her finish. I lean in and kiss her, knowing that I have destroyed the walls we both have built up the last six years. I feel free and without questions. This is what I've always wanted and I never want to let it go.

She pulls away and I look at her, confused. I hope I hadn't ruined everything, but I had believed she wanted the same thing.

She places both of her hands on my face and smiles. "I couldn't have said it better myself." She laughs and I know that for the rest of her life, that is the only sound I want to hear. She kisses me again and we both get lost. In time, in each other and in passion.

*****

*****

Calypso's POV:

"So Obiwan and Satine were lovers?" Anakin asks through the hologram.

"Yes when he was 18 my father and him were on a mission to take care of her for over a year. But he left and nothing apparently ever came of it," I answer.

"So how are things between them now? Are they still in love?" He inquires. But it seems like he was more asking if Obiwan had lightened up since last time he spoke to either of us.

"I don't know. They spend a lot of time together but otherwise I haven't noticed anything between them." I say. But to Obiwans credit he was amazing at hiding the way he was feeling. Only if you knew him really well were you able see how he was feeling by his eyes.

"Im sorry Cal but I have to go. We just got word that pirates have boarded a supply ship that was on its way here," he says hurriedly. "Talk to you later?"

I nod and the hologram shuts off.

I put my head in my hands and sigh. I haven't told Anakin that I picked the Jedi order. I always mean to but as soon as I see his face and his cheeky smile I was helpless.

Satines dinner was tomorrow night and I wasn't aware of how fancy I was supposed to dress. I didn't have much in the way of royalty wear, had no need for it, but I did have a few dresses that might suffice. I however wanted to check in with Satine to make sure I wasn't underdressed.

I went straight to her chambers. The guards outside however block my path. "I'm sorry Lady Calypso, Master Kenobi is inside having a meeting with the duchess and we were told to let no one disturb them."

"Oh, alright. Would you let the duchess know I was here?" I say before I leave.

"Of course my lady," they say and bow. I hurry away, having sensed something much stronger in that room that neither of them could've been aware of.

I walk away, covering my mouth to keep from giggling before I get to my room. I knew that there was much more going on in that room than just a meeting.

Obiwan and Satine couldn't possibly be just friends anymore.