01

Thanksgiving 2013
Dallas, TX

I leaned back in my seat at the dinner table after shoveling an unholy amount of turkey and stuffing down my gullet.

I groaned, "I'm so full," I whined, pushing my plate away from me.

Austin shook his head at me from across the table, "You act like you've never done this before. Rookie movie Rey, going for the stuffing and the bread. Double starch only ends in disaster," he muttered, shoveling another bite of green beans in his
mouth.

My mom laughed, "He's right. You'd think after four Thanksgivings together you'd have learned by now."

My dad wiped his mouth and set his napkin back in his lap, "So what's the plan tonight kids?" He asked us.

"Same as always, we'll head to my house for dessert then hit the mall for Black Friday," Austin rubbed his hands together excitedly, silently hoping to get his hands on the latest Xbox system.

"No Christmas movie this year?" My mom questioned.

Austin chuckled and nodded reluctantly, "Of course. Regan picked out 'Love Actually', against my will."

I crossed my arms across my chest, "It's not my fault you've never seen it. Plus we watched 'Die Hard' last year because you picked it out," I groaned and shook my head.

My dad narrowed his eyes slightly at us and let out a quiet chuckle, "I thought you guys always watched Christmas movies?"

I rolled my eyes, "According to him," I pointed an accusing finger at Austin who only smiled wide in return, "Die Hard is a Christmas movie." My dad shook his head and gave Austin a slight nod of approval before tucking
back into his plate.

Every year since I've known Austin he's had Thanksgiving Dinner at our house. It was our tradition. We'd stuff our faces full of food then walk the short distance back to his house where his parents would stuff us full of desserts.

We'd head to the mall for Black Friday shopping, but spend most of our time in the food court eating pretzels and people watching. Then we'd go back to Austin's house and pick out a cheesy Christmas movie to watch.
A tradition we had started in seventh grade, had followed us all the way into our senior year. Austin promised me, more than once, that it would still be something we'd do long after high school and college.

Austin cleared his throat, snapping me out of my thoughts, "You ready?" He asked, folding his napkin over his now empty plate. I nodded and picked my plate up from my spot, reaching out to take Austin's. He waved me off and reached over to take my parents' empty plates, earning a quiet thank you from them in return. We cleared the table and were finally given the 'ok' to head over to Austin's.
I grabbed my overnight bag from off the floor in the living room and shouted a 'goodbye' of sorts to my parents. Austin lingered behind, thanking my mom for cooking an incredible meal and promising my dad he'd have me home the next day
before noon. I waited outside and tapped my foot impatiently as Austin finally appeared from behind the front door.

"Finally!" I groaned, beginning the short walk to his house. He shook his head as he joined my side, taking my overnight bag from my hands and slinging his arm across my shoulder as we walked.

"Do you remember when we first met?" He asked after a moment.

I chuckled and nodded, "How could I forget?" He gave me a gentle squeeze as we stopped at the crosswalk, holding me back from walking into the street.
"It was Mr. Freeman's math class in seventh grade, you were new and sat at my table. You told me your name was Austin, and I said, 'Hey Austin, I'm Regan."