End of Term

It was so near the end of term, it was the last day of exams, thank god. To be honest, it wasn't hard, it was easy actually, too easy.

I accompanied Draco to the library a lot because he wanted to study.

I was helping McGonagall bring in the exam papers when Harry, Hermione and Ron came running in at top speed. They ran up to McGonagall's desk, hair dishevelled and faces red.

"We have to see Professor Dumbledore. Immediately!" Harry said urgently.

McGonagall scanned her eyes over them, "I'm afraid Professor Dumbledore is not here. He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and left immediately for London."

Harry couldn't believe his ears, "He's gone? Now? But this is important! This is about the Philosopher's Stone."

"How do you know...?"

"Someone's going to try and steal it," Harry said desperately.

McGonagall turned and saw I was still there, she asked me if I knew about it too. "Do you know about the Stone too, Miss. Crankshaw?"

I nodded in response.

"I don't know how you four found out about the Stone, but I assure you it is perfectly well protected. Now would you go back to your dormitories? Quietly." McGonagall said sternly before adding, "Place them here, Miss Crankshaw. Thank you, 10 points to Slytherin."

I followed the trio outside. "That was no stranger Hagrid met in the village. It was Snape. Which means he knows how to get past Fluffy."

"And with Dumbledore gone-" Hermione began but she was cut off.

"Good afternoon." A familiar voice came from behind, all of us turned around. It was Snape himself.

"Now, what would three young Gryffindors such as yourselves and a student from my own house be doing inside on a day like this?" Snape asked and look at Hermione expectantly.

Hermione made some indistinct noises and started speaking before getting cut off, "We were just..."

"You ought to be careful. People will think you're...up to something." He said and swept off.

"Now what do we do?" Hermione asked.

Harry looked determined, "We go down the trapdoor. Tonight."

-----------------------------------------

"And just where do you think you're going, Miss. Crankshaw?"

Ah shit.

I turned around to face Snape, he was staring down at me. I was absolutely stumped.

What was I supposed to say?

"Um, I was...Well, you see...I just...Oh screw it, I was sneaking out." I mumbled.

"And which location would be so interesting that you couldn't wait until the morning to go?" Snape questioned further.

"I forgot about my book in the library, I was going to get it, it could be gone when morning comes, you see," I said.

"Don't. Lie." Snape said steely.

How did he know...?

"Okay, fine I wasn't going to the library," I admitted, "It's personal, can I go now?"

"Not likely, I'll escort you back to your dormitory, and you will stay there, Miss. Crankshaw. Do you understand?"

I nodded reluctantly and followed him back, upset that I couldn't join the trio in their adventure.

-----------------------------------------

Harry had been in the hospital wing for 3 days, but he was fine now. Hermione and Ron told me everything that happened beneath the trapdoor, I was just relieved that they were alive.

It was the end of term feast. Everyone was wearing their wizard hats, that was a rare sight.

Green and silver banners hung everywhere, Slytherin had won the house cup, for the 7th year in a row. Draco was looking extra smug today, more than normal anyway.

McGonagall tapped her spoon on her goblet, and Dumbledore stood up to give his end of term speech.

"Another year gone. And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding. And the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor with 312 points." -Draco shot Harry a smirk- "Third place, Hufflepuff with 352 points. In second place...Ravenclaw with 426 points. And in first place...with 472, Slytherin house."

The whole Slytherin table jumped up and cheered. We banged our fists on the table hard to show our enthusiasm.

I was kind of annoyed that the other houses all looked at us with contempt, not many people from other houses clapped.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin. Well done, Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account. And I have a few last-minute points to award. To Miss. Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect, while others were in grave peril...50 points."

The Gryffindor table cheered while the Slytherins began whispering to each other in confusion. 

Damn, if I went that night, I could've earned my house 50 points???

"Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best-played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years, 50 points."

More cheering erupted from the Gryffindor table, some of the Slytherins were beginning to panic. I was among those who were panicking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy and proud my friends were willing to risk their lives to save the school, but who in the world saw the damned game?

"And third, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house 60 points."

We were tied with Gryffindor now, I didn't know if that was a good or bad thing, but at least they didn't have more points than us.

I was squeezing Draco's hand very hard, hoping Dumbledore wouldn't add any more points. Unfortunately, it seemed like he was going to add more points.

"Finally, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies...but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award 10 points...to Neville Longbottom."

WHAT. THE. HELL. This was BS!

I was beyond fuming right now, this wasn't fair! Dumbledore gave us 5 seconds to celebrate our victory, only to take it all away just like that. Some of the first years in Slytherin were crying for goodness sake.

"Assuming that my calculations are correct I believe...that a change of decoration is in order." Dumbledore raised his hands and the banners turned from green and silver to red and gold. "Gryffindor wins the house cup."

It was Gryffindor's turn to stand up and cheer, even the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were joining in the cheering.

Every house except Slytherin house took off their wizard hats and threw it into the air. Draco and I slammed our wizard hats onto the table in anger.

-----------------------------------------

End of 1st year.