Back to School

It was the first Herbology lesson of the year, it was my least favourite subject, but Professor Sprout was so nice I couldn't misbehave in her class.

I was standing between Draco and Goyle, waiting for Professor Sprout to arrive.

"Harry, did you actually drive that car all the way here with Ron?" I asked enthusiastically.

"Well...yeah...Ron drove it though." Harry muttered, his face a bright shade of pink.

Professor Sprout came in from a small room at the back, she had a big smile plastered on her face.

"Good morning, everyone." She tapped a pot and greeted us louder, "Good morning, everyone."

"Good morning, Professor Sprout." We chorused back.

"Welcome to greenhouse 3, second years. Now gather round, everyone. Today, we're going to re-pot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the proper use of the Mandrake root?"

Hermione and I raised our hands.

"Yes, Miss Granger?"

I sighed and lowered my hand.

Hermione smiled and said, "Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state. It's also quite dangerous, the Mandrake's cries are fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Excellent, 10 points to Gryffindor!" Professor Sprout praised Hermione. Draco furrowed his brows but said nothing.

"Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet, but they can knock you out for several hours. Which is why I've given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So, could you please put them on, right away?" Professor Sprout said.

I grabbed my pair of earmuffs and placed them over my ears, careful not to mess my hair up too much.

"Quickly! Flaps tight down and watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply up out of the pot..." She said and pulled the Mandrake out of the pot, it began letting out an ear-piercing scream.

I clutched my earmuffs tightly, trying to drown out the screaming.

"Got it? And...now you dunk it down into the other pot and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm." She said, quickly covering the Mandrake so the screaming would stop.

"Uhh..." Neville moaned and fainted beside Dean Thomas.

"Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs." Professor Sprout sighed.

"No ma'am. He's just fainted." Seamus said.

"Yes, well, just leave him there." Professor Sprout replied.

I chuckled to myself but slightly pitied Neville.

"Right! On we go! Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake, and pull it up!" She said and everyone began getting to work.

I grasped my Mandrake and pulled it out, thankfully it was a skinny one, unlike Ron who pulled out a great big fat one. Hermione pulled out a slightly big one and Harry pulled out an average-sized Mandrake.

I hurriedly stuffed my Mandrake into a pot and covered it with soil, giving Draco a few glances. He was tickling his Mandrake, which was adorable until his finger got stuck in the Mandrake's mouth and it bit his finger.

Draco pulled his finger out and stuffed his Mandrake into his pot angrily. I mouthed the word "Idiot" to him and received a punch on the shoulder from him.

-----------------------------------------

An owl swooped in and crashed into a bowl of crisps at the Gryffindor table. It was Ron's family owl, Errol, it was a terrible clumsy bird.