Detention with Umbridge

Padma Patil enchanted a paper bird to fly, entertaining the class while waiting for Umbridge to arrive. Seamus swiped at it to make it fly higher, Crabbe used his slingshot to keep it in the air.

However, the paper bird burnt to a crisp and fell onto the Patil twins' desk.

"Good morning, children." That familiar voice came from behind the classroom.

We turned around and saw the pink toad.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLS." Umbridge said as the words appeared on the blackboard at the front. She walked to the front slowly, smiling all the way.

"Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." She said and textbooks began handing out themselves.

What's this rubbish? These books are fit for babies.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic. Yes?" She said in her priggish voice.

Hermione raised her hand and said, "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

"Using spells? Ha-ha! Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom." Umbridge replied, approaching Hermione's desk.

"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron asked.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," Umbridge assured him.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." Harry challenged.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," Umbridge said firmly and walked back to the front.

"It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which, after all, is what school is all about." Umbridge said smilingly.

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry demanded.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" The trollop asked.

I could give you a list of names.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort." Harry said sarcastically.

I looked down at my book, thinking about Cedric. Draco carrassed my hand reassuringly.

"Now let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." Umbridge said, this time looking a bit unnerved.

"It's not a lie! I saw him! I fought him!" Harry protested.

"DETENTION, Mr. Potter!" Umbridge raised her voice.

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?!" Harry snarled.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident." Umbridge said.

THE FUCK?!

"It was murder! Voldemort killed him! You must know-"

"ENOUGH!" Umbridge shrieked.

"Don't you dare say Cedric's death was a terrible accident! It was murder and you know that!" I yelled.

"I said ENOUGH!" Umbridge said loudly once again. Draco tried to tell me to stop but I ignored him.

"Stop saying enough just because you can't take the truth!" I bellowed.

"MISS. CRANKSHAW! I SAID ENOUGH!" Umbridge screeched.

Umbridge recomposed herself and said, "See me later, Mr. Potter and Miss. Crankshaw. My office."

Great.

-----------------------------------------

"What do you think she has in store for us?" I asked as Harry and I went to her office.

"Dunno, but it can't be good." Harry said and knocked on the door.

"Good evening, Mr. Potter, Miss. Crankshaw. Sit." Umbridge greeted us in her disgusting pink cat-picture-filled office.

"You're going to be doing some lines for me today, both of you."

We both sat down at two small tables that were set up, shooting each other a look. Umbridge came and handed us two quills.

"Now, Mr Potter, I want you to write, 'I must not tell lies.'. Miss. Crankshaw, you have to write, 'I must not talk back.' " Umbridge said.

I rolled my eyes and looked away.

"How many times?" Harry asked.

"Well, let's say for as long as it takes for the message to sink in." The priggish woman said.

Nope, I'm good. It's already sunken in. Can I go now?

"You haven't given us any ink." Harry said pertly.

"Oh, you both won't be needing any ink." Umbridge said.

Did I ask for any?

I began writing on the parchment, the ink of the quill was red, the same shade as blood, actually.

The back of my hand started hurting, words were being scratched onto it. 'I must not talk back' in red capitals. I bit my lip to prevent any noise from coming out of my mouth.

I wasn't going to let her have the satisfaction of seeing me hurt or angry.

Harry began grunting, the words he wrote on his piece of parchment were etched onto the back of his hand too.

"Yes?" Umbridge asked both of us, her face showed worry but her eyes were hard and cold.

"Nothing." We said in unison.

"That's right. Because you know, deep down, you both deserve to be punished. Don't you, Miss. Crankshaw and Mr. Potter? Go on." Umbridge said and smiled evilly. 

I don't think I've ever hated someone as much I hate her.

-----------------------------------------

I ran into Snape while returning to the common room.

"Professor Snape." I greeted him and wiped my ears quickly.

"What's wrong with your hand?" He asked, pointing at my left hand.

"Nothing...detention with Professor Umbridge, that's all." I muttered.

"Let me see it." Snape said calmly and examined my hand.

"Hmm...I see. Apply Dittany on it, fresh skin will grow." Snape said. "I'll have a word with Professor Umbridge."

"Thanks, professor." I said and went back to the common room.

Draco was waiting for me.

"What happened in detention? Why are your eyes red? What happened to your hand?" Draco asked, holding both of my hands in his.

"Umbridge's punishment, had to write lines, and her special quill uses your own blood as ink. It also scars your hand." I said.

Draco caressed my hands for a while and kissed me, which somehow seemed to take all the pain away. Draco's kisses always seemed to send me to another world.